Timothy Hay Storage

Tylerspigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I live near DC in the US. It is very hot outside and I currently store my hay in the garage because it’s the only place I am allowed to since i bought a 50 lb box a few months ago. It is almost done and I don’t know if I should buy another 50 lb box. I bought a large box twice now becasue both times they were on a good sale and cheaper comparatively to the smaller bags. This also meant I would don’t need to remember to buy hay or worry about running out. I want some input on how to properly store my hay or how much I should be buying at once. I currently just have it in th plastic bag in it’s cardboard box it came in, however; I think hay needs to breath so that it stays dry and doesn’t get moldy (How do I know if it’s molded? It smells stronger lately but I see no mold and I’m thinking it could just be due to the humidity). The issue with keeping it in something open with holes is I am worried of bugs or rodents getting into it and then having those things end up in my pigs’ cage. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the hay fresh and how to know if it’s gone bad when there are no visual signs?

I store my hay in a couple storage bins and it usually stays fresh and you can tell when it’s bad by it’s color.

How you store hay is really just going to depend on your situation. For example, my hay is stored in the shed where my Guinea pigs live. It is stored in the cardboard boxes. Never store it in plastic as that it will sweat and will go mouldy.

It will smell musty if it has gone mouldy .

I store my hay in a couple storage bins and it usually stays fresh and you can tell when it’s bad by it’s color.

You can’t tell by its colour because even brown hay is still absolutely fine if it isn’t mouldy. It’s nicer if it is green but brown hay is still fine to eat. It’s only really when it’s visibly mouldy, damp or musty smelling that it needs to be thrown away

How you store hay is really just going to depend on your situation. For example, my hay is stored in the shed where my Guinea pigs live. It is stored in the cardboard boxes. Never store it in plastic as that it will sweat and will go mouldy.

It will smell musty if it has gone mouldy .
I want to keep my hay outside. I live in Canada. And, well, it gets below zero here alot. Any experience with cold weather storage?

I want to keep my hay outside. I live in Canada. And, well, it gets below zero here alot. Any experience with cold weather storage?

No I’m afraid not, sorry. I’m in the UK and as my piggies live in my shed (where their hay is kept), it’s fully insulated and never gets cold in there

Back