Time To Acquire ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil W

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We've borrowed a guinea pig for a few days to test for allergies etc and see how the kids get on. All good so now I'd like to acquire 2 guinea pigs who already get on with each other and like being handled! I was thinking 6-12 months old might be ideal. Seems it's best to avoid pet shops ... so where should I start!?
Cheers,
Phil on the Wirral

We've borrowed a guinea pig for a few days to test for allergies etc and see how the kids get on. All good so now I'd like to acquire 2 guinea pigs who already get on with each other and like being handled! I was thinking 6-12 months old might be ideal. Seems it's best to avoid pet shops ... so where should I start!?
Cheers,
Phil on the Wirral

Please try one of our recommended rescues, which we can all vouch for; you will be in very safe hands there! Alternatively, you might try and see whether your local RSPCA has got some, but not all branches have always got guinea pigs and not all of them are piggy savvy.
Virtually all rescues will be closed either for the whole of December or the over the Christmas holiday period in order to prevent their piggies becoming easily dumped again Christmas toys - all rescues are already bracing themselves for the seasonal onslaught as soon as they reopen again in the new year. You will have to enquire with every individual rescue for their own regulations.

Personally, I can most warmly recommend The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove/Stoke-on-Trent. Their Tony and Guy are likely just what you are looking for (see their website, adoptable boars).
Welcome to The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue, a safe haven in Stoke on Trent.

Many thanks this is much appreciated. Ours won't get dumped and I want to get sorted out before the Christmas rush. My daughter is guinea pig mad from time spent with friends' pets and my son is definitely hooked.
Most importantly, my wife (who misses having cats since becoming allergic in adulthood) has definitely bonded with the idea of a guinea pig on her lap.
Must admit they are cute :)
Phil

Many thanks this is much appreciated. Ours won't get dumped and I want to get sorted out before the Christmas rush. My daughter is guinea pig mad from time spent with friends' pets and my son is definitely hooked.
Most importantly, my wife (who misses having cats since becoming allergic in adulthood) has definitely bonded with the idea of a guinea pig on her lap.
Must admit they are cute :)
Phil

Those two boars also have the advantage that they are past their teenage hormones, so they are a stable bond. That is an additional bonus, as well as the guarantee that they are healthy. Tony is actually a himalayan cross with his dark ears, as well as being used to a family home environment.

Welcome to the forum. Wishing you success in finding your guinea pigs soon. Hope you will keep us updated on your progress and looking forward to seeing piggy pictures soon.

good luck finding your piggies and great that you are going rescue.Glad you like the forum. The thing i like about it is it isnt just about the piggies. Good laugh and supportive people on here as well in other life issues

Welcome to the forums!

I think it's fantastic that your looking into things and making sure no one is allergic to them first, brilliant, also well done for considering a rescue!

You'll learn a lot from the forums, we have people like Wibke, Helen, Abi Nurse etc. who are really great for giving advice if you get stuck with anything

Many thanks everyone. I'm stepping up the search this weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

:wel: to the forum . I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I'm very impressed that you've done a trial plus the research! You've no idea how many people do that after the purchase :roll: Good luck and I'm sure that you'll give your new guineas a wonderful loving home :wel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back