Time spent with piggies

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How much time do you guys spend with your piggies in a day?

On days I work I do about 45 minutes in the morning and a half hour in the evening. Days I have off, maybe two hours broken up throughout the day.

Is this enough? They always seem happy.

I give my piggies a cuddle every morning for as long as they want. They tell me when it's time to go back. Misty pulls at my piggy apron to let me know she's had enough and wants some coriander before going in the run. The other two have various ways of letting me know they've had enough. I check on them several times during the day, around 4ish they get veggie dindins and then just before I go to bed they have their supper. They are happy with this level of interaction. Thea, Misty and Bramble have each other to chat to and play with and that is more important than having me hanging around.

The Beastie Boys always come out for lap time in the early evening just after the spot clean. Hubby and I alternate who has who. They stay out as long as they want, usually until one wants a wee, they always let us know. This can be up to an hour as they both like cuddles and are happy to sleep on us. Otherwise they are mostly in the cage unless family visits. In the case of Auntie, they both adore her and go nuts as soon as they hear her voice and neither will settle until she gives them cuddles.

I sometimes work very long days. On those days I get up earlier- and spend a little time chatting to our pigs& doing medicine, hay top ups and poo pick ups, just doing whatever I need to for me too, the boys join in bumbling about in their home, munching hay, having a rumble at each other.
Sometimes my OH is still home, so the pigs get a bit more time with someone around, before he leaves for work. Then in the evening our boys get veggies, chats and a short time with us. Sometimes 20mins- which is usually enough for them. Both our boys will let us know when they have had enough. Then it’s home for nightly rounds- hay top ups, and a pea flake treat.
Our Guinea pigs are in our main living space, so when we are home- we are all in the same room together( the boys in their home).Weekends we are home more, and everypig is more active!
I work locally and can sometimes pop home for 15mins, which helps when we have a poorly guinea pig.

Our boys live as neighbours, and have each other while we are out at work.

On days I work till 10pm, I spend an hour with the pigs in 15 minute increments until I leave. But when I get home I'm just too tired and my cat won't always let me go in their room because he is wide awake and wanting my attention. So I refill their hay and go to bed.

So the pigs get one hour of attention until 3pm, then I leave till 10:30, refill their hay and that's it.

Is that ok, or should I spend more time? They always seem fine the next day.

I agree it depends on each guinea and the time you have of course sometimes I think the cuddles are more for me than then 😍

Yeah, I think they like me for my veggies, as I spread those throughout the day. Chez wheeks when he hears my footsteps, but I think it's for treats cause when those are gone they just ignore me!

Back