• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tilly is off to the vets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Tilly has what I think is mites :'( She has bitten herself and she scratched herself in a couple of places :( I have had to cut some of her hair off and well I feel so sad for her she has been so good I have put some gg stuff on to sooth it as we are going at 4:20 and she just sat in my arms and cuddled me bless her. She is eating, drinking and popcorning lol just itching all the time :( I really hope this vet will be good as I cant see my usual piggy vet as she is booked up it being the day after bank holiday so everyone wants a appointment.

So fingers crossed everyone please ;)

Awwww fingers crossed for you moody flerfff ;D :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Aww, poor Tilly, hope she gets better soon and finger crossed O0 Grissom crosses his little toes for her too.

Aww Dazie, sorry to hear that! Mites are terrible, Cuzzy has just gotten over them! He was forever scratching but eating, popcorning and generally himself!

Good luck!

Louise

awww good luck hun. ((((big hugs to you and her)))) :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Aw poor little thing will look like mine after (soaked in ivomec!) good luck at the vets, hope it clears up soon :)
Love Emma x

She has mites :'( They gave her a injection of ivomec and a anti inflammatory to calm the itching she wheeked so loudly :o :o and then she started to bleed from where the injection went in :'( I have to go back in 2 weeks for another dose and I have to keep an eye on the others in with her. The vet wanted to ivomec them all at 20 quid a pig! :o :o :o 3 lots of ivomec :o :o I asked about oral and she says they dont do it and they dont do the spot on called voron or something I cant remember but it has ivomec in. I didnt really like her tbh as she is a new vet to the practise and my normal vet is fantastic with piggies but she was fully booked :( I have to decide now what I am going to do about the others ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT I am really worried about them :'( :'( :'( :'(

Does Tilly live with anyone? If so that piggy could also have mites and piggies that are in close quarters of her.
I would recommed you Ivermec them all, I usually do mine once every 3mths and I give it to them by a drop on the back on the ear or two for an adult pig.

Enna x

Hi, i'd try a different vet for the spot on stuff, i had to get my two done they had their last dose yesterday, the vet did the first two and gave me the stuff to do the last one, just squirt 2 capsules each piggie, get as much on skin as possible, it cost me about £30 for both piggies so 6 doses, works out at £5 per pig per dose so much cheaper and it's definately ivomec because it says it is on the side lol! I'd suggest trying to find a vet which does the spot on stuff, a lot less stressful for the piggies and much cheaper, so you could afford to get them all done to be on the safe side :) my pigs are all clear now not an itch in sight! So it definately works 2!
Love Emma x

Poor Tilly.
Ours have the jabs when they have mites, but it doesn't cost £20!

i was always a bit worried about using spot on for piggies - is it 100% safe?

I'd say so, if not it'd be pretty bad because it does get all over them so they lick it. But mine have been fine, obviously aside from their other problems, they weren't fazed at all by the spot on x

Tilly lives with 5 others, 20 quid a piggy is ridiculous I would love to get hold of some and do it myself the vet said if I can get the spot on then that is the best other option, so thats what I am looking for so if anyone can point me in the right direction please pm me I would be so greatful :)

Hunny when you take her back next week it should only be the price of the injection about £5 as your not needing another consultation just the price in the invermec ;) if your charged more than this give us a shout ;) she will need three injections spaced between 7/10 days apart to be sure they are gone. I was told ALL piggies that are in close contact had to be done at the same time.

awww poor tilly, hope she is better soon! (((((hugs))))) :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you everyone you have been sooooo helpful. Tilly is looking better today but I am still wondering if its fungal not mites but she's been done now anyway I Think I am going to ring the vets a discuss the price with them as it is a bit scandalous.

dazie said:
Thank you everyone you have been sooooo helpful. Tilly is looking better today but I am still wondering if its fungal not mites but she's been done now anyway I Think I am going to ring the vets a discuss the price with them as it is a bit scandalous.
£20 for the first visit is about what I would pay up here and is a good price my best friend is a vet and she told me thats a good price ;). When mine had mites last year I paid £23 for first visit that was with two piggies then for the next two visits it was £8.10 the price of the injection. You should only pay for the injections next two visits ;) Now though I can inject it myself if needed, but prefer to use a spot on that I buy direct from my friend that is great stuff not the rubbish strength you get on the pet shop shelf.

I called the vets today as I have had to change the appointment they said that with ivomec you have a little leeway so she will be going friday instead of tuesaday. I also asked how much I would have to pay and the person on the phone didnt really know which I thought was odd any way she checked and said it should only be around the 5/6 pound mark.
I have also given tilly a melt from gg and a shampoo and that seems to have done a better job and her hair is growing back now and the others have no signs but I melted and shampooed them too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back