• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tia's cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
after some Sudafed etc and a week long snuffly nose and things, I tried her yest with a tiny bit of beechams cold and flu all in one thingy and within hours it all cleared up :o :o :o
shes bouncing all around the cage now bossing Spring about wheeking every damn time I go in the kitchen and rattle something bag like ::)

Oooh, I'll have to use that in future as I currently use Sudafed for piggy colds.

Piggies can catch colds from humans so if you do have a cold its best to try and stay away from the piggies and have someone else look after them or failing that, just feed/water them and thats it, don't handle them until you're better.

Kat

aww ok thanks for that ill have to make sure i remember that one lol :D

KatsCavies said:
Oooh, I'll have to use that in future as I currently use Sudafed for piggy colds.

Piggies can catch colds from humans so if you do have a cold its best to try and stay away from the piggies and have someone else look after them or failing that, just feed/water them and thats it, don't handle them until you're better.

Kat

Strictly speaking they don't get colds from humans. The colds that humans get are caused by a virus (rhinovirus) that ONLY humans can get. Colds are what humans get, upper respiratory infections are what guinea pigs get.

However, humans can get bacterial infections that can resemble a viral cold but are actually bacterial chest/upper respiratory infections. These are caused by bacteria like pneumococcus, streptococcus and some others, NOT a virus. These are the things that can be passed to piggies from humans.

It is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the two which it's why it's recommended to keep handling to a minimum when you're sick. I would never say a guinea pig had a cold in the event that someone believed that antibiotics wouldn't help like what happens in humans. If you're a human and have a cold you won't get antibiotics as they do nothing for viruses. With guinea pigs, they almost always need antibiotics to kill off the infection.

Hope that makes sense!

the sudafed wasnt working but i was shocked when the beechams all in one cleared everything up in just a few hours :o :o :o

kellyandpiggies said:
Same with us - but Tixylix works! ;)

yup tried that but it didnt seem to touch her
i just had this bit of beechams left and looked at what it does,thought hmmmmmm and so decided to give it a go

I remember! ;)

I guess it's like the meds we all take, some are good for others and work, others don't

*sighs* now Tia's sis Bubbles has the cold...it all started with the damn crappy hay :'(
anyway ive brought her inside

Glynis said:
Oh poor Tia now Bubbles :'( :'(
Sending lots of piggie kisses to help them get better real quick :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

shes not looking good,it maybe the vets tomm :( :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back