Thoughts on latest Haybox batch?

PigglePuggle

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone else thinks this month's Haybox meadow is rather like readigrass? Short strands and smells quite rich and moist, very different to last month's which was long thin dry strands and good for making a hay nest... the piggies are nom nom nom disappearing it very fast but I wonder if it might be too rich to bulk feed and maybe I should also add some unexciting shop bought hay... anyone else noticed this?
Here are Jezzy, Blod and Theo doing a large scale taste test after a cage clean :)
20210519_143000.webp

I agree. Short strands which have sat flat in the cage. The piggies, but the rabbits in particular, don’t seem quite so keen on eating it.
I’ve got another delivery due on Friday

Yes much less popular the main herd have wandered off and left it and are giving me the judgemental pig eye look!
Tallulah skinny hippo likes it because she hates tall fluffy hay that tickles her naked back... so 10kg of that for Tallulah and the others can have a mix of pet shop meadow and Haybox timothy!

Laughing face for Tallulah!
I think I’m going to stop buying meadow hay from haybox. No complaints regarding the Timothy and they have loved the soft cut. But it’s too expensive for the meadow when it’s not up to scratch.

I don't buy meadow hay from haybox for that reason. I always buy the Timothy hay from there and I'm very impressed most of the time. Keep wanting to try their new softer Timothy hay has anyone tried this? (Guinea pigs not people 😅) I would recommend the healthy herby orchard hay mine seem to prefer orchard to meadow :) x

I don't buy meadow hay from haybox for that reason. I always buy the Timothy hay from there and I'm very impressed most of the time. Keep wanting to try their new softer Timothy hay has anyone tried this? (Guinea pigs not people 😅) I would recommend the healthy herby orchard hay mine seem to prefer orchard to meadow :) x

yes I use the haybox soft timothy - it’s a huge paws up from all five of mine. None of them will touch the coarse timothy but the soft disappears very quickly!

Not tried the haybox soft timothy yet, mine love the haybox coarse stalky spiky timothy as after dinner eating hay and I think its very good for keeping Blodwen's wonky teeth worn down... but they cant make a nest in it, it would like sitting on a cactus! :)

yes I use the haybox soft timothy - it’s a huge paws up from all five of mine. None of them will touch the coarse timothy but the soft disappears very quickly!

just saw the soft Timothy hay on their site. I have a box of their coarse hay and it makes me so itchy every time I put it in their hay bag. They eat bits of it and just pull the rest out :) going to try the soft hay x

Back