• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Thoughts On Critical Care...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfectpets11

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
I've just been wondering whether I should get some critical care but I was wanting to know your thoughts on it first.
1. Which is better? Fine grind or the normal one?
2. Does it work? Is it helpful?
3. Do you go through it quickly?
If anyone could answer the above I'd be grateful!
I'm trying to build up a medical box/ first aid kit for "just incases"
What things are useful to have in a first aid kit?
Thanks again x

i highly recommend it. i recently used it with eddie and saw a difference in him when on this feed, compared with the recovery or mashed pellets. the normal one was fine to use with a 1ml syringe (tip cut off). it is expensive and you go through it quite quickly but i think it's worth it. if it's for the first aid box, i'd buy a few of the small 36g sachets and then if you have to use them, it gives you time to order the bigger bag and for it to be delivered. eddie loved the taste of it aswell. :)

i highly recommend it. i recently used it with eddie and saw a difference in him when on this feed, compared with the recovery or mashed pellets. the normal one was fine to use with a 1ml syringe (tip cut off). it is expensive and you go through it quite quickly but i think it's worth it. if it's for the first aid box, i'd buy a few of the small 36g sachets and then if you have to use them, it gives you time to order the bigger bag and for it to be delivered. eddie loved the taste of it aswell. :)
Thanks! Do youknow where I could get the 36g sachets?

Not all piggies like the taste of Critical Care, so it is better to just have sachets. Or you can just mush up your pellets for hand feed, as that is at least a familiar flavour and in my experience often goes down better.

Have some fibreplex handy in case of a tummy upset and you needing a high fibre product.

Thanks @Wiebke!
Gonna get the sachets I think
Might look for fibreplex though. Any ideas on where I can get it?

I recommend it too and I am giving it to my skinnies at the moment to keep their weight up now it has got colder. I use the normal or fine grind.

You can google fibreplex online. it is being sold quite widely. Not cheap, but well worth having some for an emergency.

I prefer find grind Critical Care, it is much easier to syringe.

Thanks @Wiebke and @helen105281
Can u get sachets of the fine grind? I think I've only saw the normal one.
I'm definitely gonna look at the fibreplex though. Sounds like a good think to have.

You can but they only come in the one size so not as small as the normal ones can be.
Oh okay.
I've added the fibreplex and the critical care to my basket until I have enough money to order them. Thanks for your help.
Is there anything else that would be extremely useful to have in a first aid kit?

A good all-round probiotic like avipro plus or bio-lapsis is always worth having at home as you never know when a piggy needs to go on antibiotics or is going off its appetite.

I've heard of bio lapis and I've saw it on some websites but it's never been advertised for guinea pigs, just rabbits.

I've used it in the past for sick pigs. I had also mashed up pellets and mixed with water, but found it was harder to get that to a consistency that would fit through a syringe. I have a sachet of Critical Care on hand all the time just in case (my vet told me if I don't use a whole sachet, I can seal the rest and freeze it to make it last longer.) I had to syringe-feed Sundae when she had a large facial abscess that made it hurt to chew to get her through the weekend before her surgery, and she actually seemed to like it and took it really well. I got mine from my vet, it's hard to find places with good guinea pig supplies where I live!

I've used it in the past for sick pigs. I had also mashed up pellets and mixed with water, but found it was harder to get that to a consistency that would fit through a syringe. I have a sachet of Critical Care on hand all the time just in case (my vet told me if I don't use a whole sachet, I can seal the rest and freeze it to make it last longer.) I had to syringe-feed Sundae when she had a large facial abscess that made it hurt to chew to get her through the weekend before her surgery, and she actually seemed to like it and took it really well. I got mine from my vet, it's hard to find places with good guinea pig supplies where I live!
Thanks for the advice!
Just read your little message at the bottom and it says that you have had hedgehogs in the past (RIP). What are they like as pets? Expensive?

Thanks for the advice!
Just read your little message at the bottom and it says that you have had hedgehogs in the past (RIP). What are they like as pets? Expensive?

Actually, aside from initial purchase price, I think my hedgehogs cost less to keep than my guinea pigs! They certainly made less vet trips and didn't need the level of fresh produce that guinea pigs do. Plus because they are more happy as solitary animals, I managed to make bedding go farther because only one animal was peeing/pooping in there at a time. They are absolutely adorable! There are definite pros and cons, though. They are not as intelligent or as interactive as the guinea pigs are, and how friendly they are with humans varies. We had one who was wonderful, never put her spikes up, and loved everyone (Hawthorne.) She was great- one of the best pets I've ever had! Our second hedgehog, Bram, was friendly and comfortable with me, but not with other people, even my husband. He was also our first experience with a big con of hedgehogs: genetic disease. There is an inherited condition called wobbly hedgehog syndrome that is similar to Parkinson's disease in humans. It is genetic and generally untreatable. It leads to shakiness in the voluntary muscles, lack of balance and coordination, etc. It spares the involuntary muscles (heart, lungs, digestion, etc.) so it doesn't even do the poor animals the courtesy of killing them. At a relatively young age, in the course of a few months, he went from wobbliness to circling/lack of balance to being unable to stand at all unassisted, and this in spite of the fact that we were paying for injections to reduce nervous system inflammation that would give him ever-briefer refractory periods were he was less symptomatic. Eventually once he could no longer stand on his feet without someone supporting his weight, we chose to have him put down, as his quality of life was poor and he was certainly not enjoying his life anymore. It was heartbreaking, and the fear of another hedgehog going through the same thins is probably a big reason why we don't have them anymore. After Bram, we didn't have any pets for awhile (we had also just had a baby and were quite busy!) until the breeder we got Bram from announced that she was going to stop breeding and asked if we would be interested in taking one of the hedgehogs that they were rehoming. So we got Thistle as a young adult. She obviously had not been handled a lot, and never warmed up to humans at all. We had her for six years and she never liked to be handled at all, so we fed her, cleaned her, observed her (which is fun in and of itself, they are cute animals with a lot of interesting behaviors!) but she was very hard to hold (the spine are very sharp!) and the kids wanted a pet they cut pat rather than the living, grumpy pincushion that was Thistle. So after she passed of old age, we decided to get guinea pigs because we though they would be friendlier and easier for the kids (and they are!) I'm still very fond of hedgehogs and think they're adorable, but on the whole I think I will stick with piggies, as they are more social and responsive and form a closer bond with their humans than most hedgehogs do.

Actually, aside from initial purchase price, I think my hedgehogs cost less to keep than my guinea pigs! They certainly made less vet trips and didn't need the level of fresh produce that guinea pigs do. Plus because they are more happy as solitary animals, I managed to make bedding go farther because only one animal was peeing/pooping in there at a time. They are absolutely adorable! There are definite pros and cons, though. They are not as intelligent or as interactive as the guinea pigs are, and how friendly they are with humans varies. We had one who was wonderful, never put her spikes up, and loved everyone (Hawthorne.) She was great- one of the best pets I've ever had! Our second hedgehog, Bram, was friendly and comfortable with me, but not with other people, even my husband. He was also our first experience with a big con of hedgehogs: genetic disease. There is an inherited condition called wobbly hedgehog syndrome that is similar to Parkinson's disease in humans. It is genetic and generally untreatable. It leads to shakiness in the voluntary muscles, lack of balance and coordination, etc. It spares the involuntary muscles (heart, lungs, digestion, etc.) so it doesn't even do the poor animals the courtesy of killing them. At a relatively young age, in the course of a few months, he went from wobbliness to circling/lack of balance to being unable to stand at all unassisted, and this in spite of the fact that we were paying for injections to reduce nervous system inflammation that would give him ever-briefer refractory periods were he was less symptomatic. Eventually once he could no longer stand on his feet without someone supporting his weight, we chose to have him put down, as his quality of life was poor and he was certainly not enjoying his life anymore. It was heartbreaking, and the fear of another hedgehog going through the same thins is probably a big reason why we don't have them anymore. After Bram, we didn't have any pets for awhile (we had also just had a baby and were quite busy!) until the breeder we got Bram from announced that she was going to stop breeding and asked if we would be interested in taking one of the hedgehogs that they were rehoming. So we got Thistle as a young adult. She obviously had not been handled a lot, and never warmed up to humans at all. We had her for six years and she never liked to be handled at all, so we fed her, cleaned her, observed her (which is fun in and of itself, they are cute animals with a lot of interesting behaviors!) but she was very hard to hold (the spine are very sharp!) and the kids wanted a pet they cut pat rather than the living, grumpy pincushion that was Thistle. So after she passed of old age, we decided to get guinea pigs because we though they would be friendlier and easier for the kids (and they are!) I'm still very fond of hedgehogs and think they're adorable, but on the whole I think I will stick with piggies, as they are more social and responsive and form a closer bond with their humans than most hedgehogs do.
Wow thank you such much for that lovely message!
Would you recommend them as pets?
You've gave me a small idea as to what they are like in general. Thanks! x

Wow thank you such much for that lovely message!
Would you recommend them as pets?
You've gave me a small idea as to what they are like in general. Thanks! x

I would recommend them as pets with the caveat that you understand that temperament can vary a lot between individuals. You may get a really mellow hedgehog that is easy to handle and pat... or you may get one that never fully relaxes and that you cannot pat or pick up without getting a handful of spikes for your trouble (and the spikes are not for show! They are sharp!) Your initially cautious hedgehog might warm up to you in time, or it might not. They aren't social animals and, as such, don't make a lot of 'social gestures' to the humans. We had one of ours free range for a time when we had an apartment that was easy to hedgehog-proof, and she was like having a cat. She did her own thing. I would find her when I came home and plunk her on my knee while I watched TV. But they are not like a dog that greets you at the door, and they are not like a guinea pig that wheeks when you open the fridge because they want to beg for food. They aren't 'outgoing' in that way, it's not how they're made. That said, they are adorable, even the grumpier ones have a lot of neat behaviors and are great to watch even if they don't want you to pat them. They do this thing called 'self-annointing,' where if they find an interesting smell/taste, they will chew it until they work up a lot of frothy saliva, and then the will contort their head around and rub it on their quills. They will fall over and roll around in an effort to do this, and it's hilarious! My mom had a leather couch that used to drive the hedgehogs insane (apparently, leather is one of the scents that provokes this. I also had one that would go crazy for hand lotion or scented soaps, and one liked the rubber soles of shoes.) And unlike hedgehogs that don't have the capacity to throw up, a lot of hedgehogs are prone to motion sickness... I used to feel awful for Bram in particular, he would barf just about every time we had to go anywhere in the car. I used to carry him on my knee on a blanket with a roll of paper towels beside me so I could 'clean up' as we went. Poor thing! Anyways, sorry to ramble on! Their are neat little critters and I very much enjoyed the 12 years that I owned them, and I would definitely recommend them as long as a lap pet or a pet that openly demonstrates affection is not a 'must,' because there's no guarantee that you'll get that.

Thanks again.
Okay so basically if you happen to get the right hedgehog they are lovely pets to have and are nice to care for but if you don't get the right one they can be quite a pain to care for because they don't show as much love and affection towards humans.
Lol, I bet you loved car rides!
That sounds so cute when they roll around. Bless them!

Thanks again.
Okay so basically if you happen to get the right hedgehog they are lovely pets to have and are nice to care for but if you don't get the right one they can be quite a pain to care for because they don't show as much love and affection towards humans.
Lol, I bet you loved car rides!
That sounds so cute when they roll around. Bless them!
That's basically it! Friendly, docile hedgehogs are wonderful! Unfriendly hedgehogs are literally hard to care for because they are literally hard to even pick up and handle, as they are well-protected and can simply roll up and outwait you. Cutting Thistle's nails was a near-impossible ordeal, because she would simply roll into a ball and sit there... and she could sit there all day! You may think it's easy to overpower a tiny animal enough to get one finger in there and pry out one little paw... but you would be wrong! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back