• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Thomas' Teeth

• Thread starter Thread starter gp-d
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gp-d

I just now went to give the girls some cucumber and the others were eating it normally but Thomas just seemed to be trying to eat it but pushing it around. I suspect maybe a broken or overgrown teeth but she won't let me have a look...

Any tips on getting pigs to show their teeth will be greatly appreciated and what should I do in the mean time just in case?

I would get him to the vet tbh, have you got a good exotic vet near you? If he needs his teeth clipped, a good vet can do it without anaesthetic. In the meantime, slice his food up into very thin slices and maybe mush some of his pellets up with hot water and allow to cool and see if he can manage that :)

I agree, I would get her to the vet asap. I have had several teeth problems with my piggy Monty. Lavenderjade, where abouts are you? I am desperate to find a vet that will do dental work without an anaesthetic!

I pretty certain from letting her nibble my finger her front teeth have broken :'( I've cut her cucumber up and she had some of that from my hand and water syringed her so, soon I'm going to try pellet feeding. My vets is closed now :tickedoff: and I'm not sure what they can do really if her teeth have broken but I'll try to take her tomorrow... :'(

I am in Surrey and two fab members on here told me about my vet who has 3 surgeries all fairly nearby. I am sure if you post your location, someone can point you to a good vet nearish to you. Sometimes it may mean a half hour drive, but it is worth it :)

gp-d said:
I pretty certain from letting her nibble my finger her front teeth have broken :'( I've cut her cucumber up and she had some of that from my hand and water syringed her so, soon I'm going to try pellet feeding. My vets is closed now :tickedoff: and I'm not sure what they can do really if her teeth have broken but I'll try to take her tomorrow... :'(

Thats good that she is eating and drinking. If its her front teeth and they have broken cleanly, they should grow back ok. It sounds like she cant pick the food up but once in her mouth, can chew with her molars, so not too bad. Keep helping her and pop to your vets to be sure :)

Will do. What advice can you give to get her to eat the food? She is fine once its in her mouth but she doesn't like syringe feedig or anything but veggies. Also do I need to get up and feed her in the night?

If the inscissors are broken it should be obvious.As the piggy can eat once the food is in the mouth,it does sound like broken inscissors.These will grow back very quickly,in a few days or so.There is nothing a vet can do for broken inscissors but it would be as well to get the teeth checked to make sure the molars are o.k.

You will have to syringe feed even if Thomas is trying to resist.Guinea pigs are grazers so the digestive system will break down after only a few hours without adequate food.

If he does not like the mashed dry pellets,try liquidised veggies.The small jars of pureed baby foods are very good,the potato and carrot one is the favourite.You could put a bit of the dry mix mush in with this to flavour it.Make the mixture to the consistency of thick soup.Mashed banana is liked by some pigs as well.

While he is off the food,give a vitimin supplement daily.I use Abidec ,one drop per day.

Give plenty of water by syringe as well.

There is no need to get up in the night.Give a good feed as late in the eveining as you can,and then when you get up in the morning.

If Thomas is fidgiting when you are trying to feed,wrap him in a towel firmly so he cannot knock the syringe out of your hands.

Do let us know where you are because someone will be able to point you to a good vet.It is important to find a vet who is good with piggies because some vets will not do dental work without aneasthetic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back