This Vetbed Isn't As Easy As I Had Hoped!

• Thread starter Thread starter guineafriend
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guineafriend

98) After reading all the reviews about how good vetbed is I went and bought some from a local pet shop. I have my guineas in a large run / cage thing with a tent ground sheet to protect my floors and carpet on the bottom, then vetbed, then hay.

The vetbed is great on the top for the piggies, but I didn’t realise that it would be so wet underneath, the groundsheet now smells so I’m going to hose that down tonight and give it a proper clean, and I’ve now bought a massive fleecy throw to put between the groundsheet and the vetbed.

Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to keep the place clean and tidy, they live in my front room so I don’t like them being a complete mess, I certainly don’t want them to smell, and I don’t want to put them back in there shop bought cage because they love it where they are. :smitten:

You still need to put a thick layer of newspaper underneath it. The point of vetbed is that the urine soaks through to the underneath, but it stays dry on top so piggies are not sitting in wee. Also, like towels, when it is brand new it is not quite as absorbant as when it has been washed a couple of times. Be sure NOT to use fabric conditioner, as this impedes the absorbancy!

I echo what Lavenderjade has said, I have a sheet of plastic, then a thick layer of newspaper and then the vetbed. When i remove the newspaper I spray the plastic sheet with small animal disinfectant and dry with kitchen paper before replacing with clean newspaper.

lavenderjade said:
You still need to put a thick layer of newspaper underneath it. The point of vetbed is that the urine soaks through to the underneath, but it stays dry on top so piggies are not sitting in wee. Also, like towels, when it is brand new it is not quite as absorbant as when it has been washed a couple of times. Be sure NOT to use fabric conditioner, as this impedes the absorbancy!

I had no idea you shouldn't use fabric softener!

Will revise my washing arrangements!

I agree with the above. How often are you changing the vetbed? I change mine twice a week. Providing the poops are swept up once or twice a day there is no smell.

Also a good idea to use liquid washing stuff rather than powder, the powder can linger and mine sneeze their little heads off when i use it lol! x

Hi piggytoe, I haven't changed it yet, I bought it on Sunday, just checked it yesterday and the underneath was wet so I put a fleece inbetween it and the plastic groundsheet.

I'm going to go home, pick up some newspapers, give it all a clean out and perhaps pop up my moms to use the tumble dryer!
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone used essential oils as part of their cleaning process - any thoughts on that? ?

I have not tried using essential oil when washing, but I wouldn't have thought it was recommended. Vetbed and all fleeces are made from plastic polymer strands, and I would suspect adding strong raw oils would degrade the fibres. Also guinea pigs have a very keen sense of smell, they may find essential oils rather over powering.
I use Tesco or Sainsbury bio washing liquid, and really, that does the job on a hot wash. I know some members have also had success with non-bio liquid too. If you wanted to shift the little limey deposits left behind in wee patches someone once reccommended adding a cup of white vinegar to the wash, but I don't know how it would interact with the enzymes in bio washing liquid. Might get a lot of bubbles though!

Sorry - wherever it was that I read it, they used the essential oils on the correx base of their cage, I considered using it diluted to wash the plastic sheet that I have underneath the vet bed.
Maybe I'll just forget that idea. :)

I use about 10 drops each of lavender and tea-tree oil in a spray bottle of water.The oils have anti bacterial properties as well as smelling great.I spray the correx and my indoor cage bases with this after washing them,

mum said:
I use about 10 drops each of lavender and tea-tree oil in a spray bottle of water.The oils have anti bacterial properties as well as smelling great.I spray the correx and my indoor cage bases with this after washing them,

Do you use these essential oils instead of pet friendly disinfectant, if so do you find it as effective for any nasties?

I don"t have a problem with any "nasties" so I think it is just as effective and smells better is natural and works out alot cheaper.

I found vetbed very difficult to use (washing etc) and now I only use it for post-op recovery.

I like the idea of using tea tree and lavender instead of disinfectant.

Lucinda, I know what you mean, I do worry about my washing machine! .

I love the stuff to be honest but have to leave a thick layer of newspaper underneath, whatever you do don't wash it by hand I tried it and because of its absorbancy it weighs a tonne!

i only use a small bit of vetbed for a corner of Ralfies cage and the upstairs of the girls cage where they sleep, not too much to wash then x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back