thinking of trying vetbed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
what do people put in their piggies nest houses if they are using vet bed?
I'm currently using woodshavings and put a layer of that under the hay in their nest boxes to soak up the pee.... ?

I would be interested in this too as I have a rabbit who has the sneezums and is dust allergic and being the wally that I am didn't realise you could use vetbed for small furries. ::)

Got some for the dogs so may have to purchase some or pro fleece for the 3 rabbits :)

magic. let me know if it works for you if you do get some, i just keep hearing bad things about woodshavings thats why i'm thinking about it. and it sounds more hygienic. :)

I'm trying vet bed. I got quite a big peice cheap on ebay. It should be arriving today!

Iv been thinking about tryin vet bet. My pigs are indoors and on mezgazord at the mo but its a struggle to get it and I'm fed up of trailing it through the house. With four large cages and 8 guinea pigs its also costing me over £30 a month. Iv found some pro fleece on a roll that i could cut up and use and that works out about £100. I wanted to know what you have to use under the vet bed and how easy it is to clean. I dont want to knacker my washing machine so was wondering how other peoples machines lasted with them washing there vet bed in them. x

My pigs have tried everything lol! At the moment they're on megazorb which gets all over the house and all over the pigs, they sneeze all the time and one of them has a bad eye infection which i think may have been caused by the dust in the megazorb. Soo, they're going back on vetbed today. I dont put anything in their houses because they dont have bottoms so the vetbed is there, but if you wanted i suppose you could put some hay in them? I would really recommend vetbed if your washing machine can stand it? xx

Got my vet bed today! Peggy thinks its great! She's all snuggled up! I was using fleece before, but vetbed is thicker, and dryer. The fleece would have been wet already, but the vet bed is still dry!

I was changing my fleece everyday, but think the vetbed will last longer.

Some of the nice people on here gave me a few tips for keeping it clean. Use a stiff brush or hand-held vaccum to get the poops off each day, then put it in the washing machine about every third day. To stop fur and hay getting in your washing machine, put the bedding in an old pillow case with a knot in the top to wash it.

Thanks for those tips. I'm going to have to buy the big roll to try it because to get enough for one cage to try is going to cost me £50 then if i like it another £100 getting the roll so i think it just makes sense to buy the big roll for £100 and if i hate it donate it to a rescue. Il also have a bit left over i can give the cats. Its going to save me a huge amount of money so if its pain to wash il just have to keep thinking of the cash! Iv also heard that piggies love it.

It'll save you loads of money, as well as time spent vacuuming! They cant kick vetbed out of the cage!

I think mine like their new vetbed! They are all lying on it!

IMG0332.jpg

(excuse the poops!)

hey!
Just got back from work to find lots of replies! all very helpful! thank you. :)
I think i'm def going to give it a try then, the girls houses do have bottoms so i guess it may just have to be hay. What are your bottomless houses like and where did you get them?

After hoovering for the 40th time this week the woodshavings have to go!

;D

you can get rid of the poops in 2 seconds with the end of the vacuum hose though! Much easier than cleaning them out all the time!

that sounds soo much better than having to hoover the whole house because woodshavings get carried everywhere! cant wait to try it now!

grommit said:
the girls houses do have bottoms so i guess it may just have to be hay. What are your bottomless houses like and where did you get them?

;D

Now will probably make a fool of myself here,but if you are using vetbed why does the cage have to be bottomless?

Carroll said:
grommit said:
the girls houses do have bottoms so i guess it may just have to be hay. What are your bottomless houses like and where did you get them?

;D

Now will probably make a fool of myself here,but if you are using vetbed why does the cage have to be bottomless?

I think she means little hidey houses not the actual cage ;) The hidey houses don't have to be bottomless but it is more higenic (sp?) if they are in my opinion otherwise they are lying on plastic? that they've peed on.

aha! well what i meant was the girls at the mo have plastic houses that they sleep in but if i am using vetbed it might be better for them to have bottomless sleep houses so they can sleep on the vetbed! does that make more sense?

as i am writing this my little wen is trying to climb up and eat my hair! She's become reallly hair obsessed lately! ;D

My 'bottomless' ones are just P@H pigloos with no tops turned upside down lol! they love running round with them on their heads and standing on top off them :)

aha! thank you! just ordered some vetbed off e-bay so we'll see how they get on with it! My Al pig is a champion wee'r so i'm quite concerned as to how often i'll have to wash it! :)

As long as there is plenty of newspaper underneath to soak up the wee, it wont be as often as you expect. The top of it stays dry really well.

Vetbed arrived! well pleased and al pig seems happy too! she started to chew at first but now she's leaving it alone. I bet it doesnt taste all that great! i'll go put more newspaper underneath tho, not sure i've put enough now!
:)

i love it! came down this morning gave it a quick hoover to get all the poo's and its just great! she'd wee'd in her nest box overnight (i have cut out a little bit of vetbed to fit) so i just replaced the kitchen roll underneath it, gave the box a quick wash and the vetbed itself is completely dry! Amazed and really happy! al pig says thank you all for recommending it! she's got lovely warm feet! :smitten:

I love vetbed too!

It amazes me how the top of it stays so dry! It's warm and snuggly too. My pigs akways seem to be curled up on it having a nap. :smitten:

I ordered mine from profleece and it arrived yesterday. I cut it up into 8 pieces so i have enough for each cage and spares for when the others are in the wash.
They were a little unsure about walking on it to start with but by the afternoon they were all fast asleep on it.
I took it out and shook all the poo's off and the top was completely dry.
I ordered mine in Charcoal, doesn't show up the poop's.
To revive the pile, use a slicker grooming brush. Some of the fluff might come out to start with but it will make it soft and fluffy again.

I found that 10 minutes in the tuble dryer on a low setting fluffs it up pretty good too.

Keep forgetting about this thread.

Are there any advantages of vetbed over profleece

Just looking at all options really :)

Thanks

whats profleece? i'm getting on fine with the vetbed although Al pig seems to think its fun to tunnel under the bit i've cut up to fit in her nest box! and she wont poo on it, she keeps tucking the poos down the sides of it for some reason! :)
Where do you get profleece? Is it cheaper than vetbed? I have another cage that i'm still using woodshavings in as cant afford another lot of vetbed yet! :)

Just a little advice about washing vetbed- Put it in a pillow case before putting it in the machine. I have broken my washer by washing vetbed without it being covered :(

Yep, the pillow case thing is a good trick. Make sure the knot in the top is good though. My vetbed found its way out of its pillow case the other day.

Mine seem to poo down the side of the vetbed too! Maybe they just dont want to spoil their nice new flooring!

lol! Al only pee's in her nest box now too! i have to change that every other day! Save's me washing the whole thing frequently tho. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back