• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Thinking of neutering piggy...

• Thread starter Thread starter baby-wilson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby-wilson

Hey, I am thinking of neutering wilson and when cindy has her bubs I'm goning to get the male I'm keeping neutered too...
Just wondering if anyone has any advise, i wont do it till later this year coz i have to save the money lol but is there anything
i should know, pre-op, after care anything to ask the vet?

Thanks heaps!

Is there any reason you're getting both males neutered? It's notoriously difficult (but not impossible) to get two males to live in peace with a female.

Ask the vet how many guinea pig neuters he or she has done before and what anaesthetic they use. Safe anaesthetics are isoflurane (most common) and sevoflurane (less common but newer).

I wanted to get them both fixed so i could either have one girl to a boy or have them all live together if it worked (2 boys, 2 girls) because mum sid i could keep a girl and a boy from her litter... however of course i want to keep them all lol!

I would think that if you're going to have two girls and two boys, then pairing them up girl to girl and boy to boy would be easier. And, like was said, if you're thinking of having two boys and a girl, it will be very difficult. Also, if you get them neutered, I hate to say it but I must, there's a chance something will go wrong and one (or both) won't make it. The decision is obviously yours, but unless you must keep a girl and boy together, I wouldn't.

Kimmie

The thing is just that if they are neutered, and the boys dont get along, she would always have plan B and could sit one boy with one girl each. She got all the options once they had their bits chopped.

I have never heard of two males and a female in the same cage working out - I know a girl with an absolutely HUGE setup, and she tried, but after one week of it working, the boys just clashed and she had to seperate the group again. If you have any advice on how to make 2 boys +girl work, I would love to hear it, and alot of other people would appreciate it aswell.

As for neutering going wrong - yep, it can. I heard of nasty cases where it went TERRIBLY wrong.
However, in 80 to 90 percent of the cases it doesnt. If you go to an experienced vet (I dont know where you live, baby-wilson, someone on here might have a recommendation for you) it should be a routine operation without any complications. There are always some risks - no operation is without risks, for humans and guinea pigs alike. But with an experienced vet and if you have a healthy piggy, the risk should be minimal.

Abnoba said:
The thing is just that if they are neutered, and the boys dont get along, she would always have plan B and could sit one boy with one girl each. She got all the options once they had their bits chopped.

I have never heard of two males and a female in the same cage working out - I know a girl with an absolutely HUGE setup, and she tried, but after one week of it working, the boys just clashed and she had to seperate the group again. If you have any advice on how to make 2 boys +girl work, I would love to hear it, and alot of other people would appreciate it aswell.

As for neutering going wrong - yep, it can. I heard of nasty cases where it went TERRIBLY wrong.
However, in 80 to 90 percent of the cases it doesnt. If you go to an experienced vet (I dont know where you live, baby-wilson, someone on here might have a recommendation for you) it should be a routine operation without any complications. There are always some risks - no operation is without risks, for humans and guinea pigs alike. But with an experienced vet and if you have a healthy piggy, the risk should be minimal.

I wish ours hadnt gone wrong with Dusty :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back