Thinking of changing c&c for a hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have had my C&C cage for 8 weeks now and as per usual I always change my mind about things! My pigs are in our box 3rd bedroom and currently their cage takes up half of it.

My parent recently purchased Thistle hall for our rabbit and his new friend and after seeing my cousin's guinea in a sage hutch also I'm beginning to wonder if my monstrosity of a C&C is the best option. I live with my parents at the mo but am very aware if I moved out no way could I accomodate the cage and would hate to make it any smaller for them. Also they in their current cage they have no where to naturally scracth their claws. Also during free time I have to get them out 1 by 1 which seems ever so trumatic for them and put them in a different room at least I could just open the door and use my cubes to make a run.

Does anyone currently house their guins in Thistle Hall? How did you modify the ramp as my boar is a little crazy and liable to fall.

That sounds like a good idea. Mine have the rabbit shack 2 storey and I made a run around it for them so they could pop in and out as they pleased. Mine were fine on the ramp so not sure about that :-\

I think a lot of guineas are ok with ramps but Thistle Hall is geared towards rabbits and each storey is quite high. My cousins poor guinea got so excited in his new two storey that he walked backwards and fell down the ramp! I know what Spike is like and would rather prevent it before it happens!

I don't have the Thistle Hall but i do have ramps in my hutches. To stop them falling off we add wooden sides O0

Niki said:
I don't have the Thistle Hall but i do have ramps in my hutches. To stop them falling off we add wooden sides O0
[/quote
I have a two guards one on the ramp and one acting like a banister on the landing easy to attach ;)

You could always buy a strip of skirting board or dado rail and screw it onto the side. Most guinea pigs will use ramps as long as they feel safe using them.

we used a base board which is used at the bottom of wooden fence panels for sides to our ramp. piggies are fine with the ramps.

miss_piggy said:
Any special wood kind of wood or just plywood?

Also do the guineas use the ramps?

Mine don't have any special wood, some are contiboard, others have pieces of pine. Some of my ramps have wooden strips across like ladders others have carpet attached & all my piggies use their ramps including my rescues who'd previously lived in shop bought cages - they've all learnt to use them :)

Thanks for you help everyone.

I have spent a fortune trying to find the perfect cage but I think I'm going to get the hutch. My boyfriend owes me a belated birthday present so I might get him to get me that!

Hopefully having a ramp will add a little bit of excitement to their new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back