They don't seem to get along

Reaction score
I hate having to ask another question but recently my boys seem to be fighting, no blood, more like lunges. When I got them they said they were bonded but they seem to be angry randomly. Sometimes they seem fine sleeping together, sharing food, stuff like that. But just yesterday day I heard a lot of teeth chattering and again the lunges but then seem fine. However the smaller one has been doing a lot of rumble strutting and trying to, I think, smell the bigger ones butt. Obviously the bigger one does not like this and turns around or runs away. Should I separate them or is there a specific stopping point, is there any personality traits or noises that I should look for to let me know if they actually get along? They are both about 7 months old right now one is a full abby and the other an abby/teddy mix, if that helps

I hate having to ask another question but recently my boys seem to be fighting, no blood, more like lunges. When I got them they said they were bonded but they seem to be angry randomly. Sometimes they seem fine sleeping together, sharing food, stuff like that. But just yesterday day I heard a lot of teeth chattering and again the lunges but then seem fine. However the smaller one has been doing a lot of rumble strutting and trying to, I think, smell the bigger ones butt. Obviously the bigger one does not like this and turns around or runs away. Should I separate them or is there a specific stopping point, is there any personality traits or noises that I should look for to let me know if they actually get along? They are both about 7 months old right now one is a full abby and the other an abby/teddy mix, if that helps

Hi!

Lunges are a very strongly worded 'Keep out of my space'. They are defensive and not aggressive. Crucial is how the other party is answering to that. If the warning is heeded, then lunging is not a problem; it can only escalate if the other party keeps pressing on and the warner has actually got the aggression potential for a fight. In your case, things seem to have calmed down again.

Please be aware that your boys are right in the very thickest of the teenage months at an age whether the testosterone output is at an alltime high. Hormones tend to flare up in spikes.

Here is more information on teenage and on behaviours:
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Thank you so much, yeah for now the big one kinda runs or freezes. But I still worry about them acting a bit rough i'll read through your linke right now!

Thank you so much, yeah for now the big one kinda runs or freezes. But I still worry about them acting a bit rough i'll read through your linke right now!

As long as they are just going up to the line but are careful to not cross it, you are fine. You are likely going to see some more hair raising moments over the coming months but your boys will hopefully make it through.

It rather sounds like your smaller boy is going to wear the trousers in the relationship... ;)

As long as they are just going up to the line but are careful to not cross it, you are fine. You are likely going to see some more hair raising moments over the coming months but your boys will hopefully make it through.

It rather sounds like your smaller boy is going to wear the trousers in the relationship... ;)
He is! He is smaller and so adorable but he acts like the biggest piggy in the world. My big boy is a true ham all he wants is food and lap time its so funny when I think about it.

He is! He is smaller and so adorable but he acts like the biggest piggy in the world. My big boy is a true ham all he wants is food and lap time its so funny when I think about it.

Body size doesn't say anything about how much kudos a piggy has...

Nerys (the big piggy in my avatar) was the same; she wouldn't let a calorie escape that she could wrap her body round. It was her much smaller sister Nia who was running my big group for several years even though she was one of the smallest in the whole outfit... :)

Do you have a picture of your boys?

Body size doesn't say anything about how much kudos a piggy has...

Nerys (the big piggy in my avatar) was the same; she wouldn't let a calorie escape that she could wrap her body round. It was her much smaller sister Nia who was running my big group for several years even though she was one of the smallest in the whole outfit... :)

Do you have a picture of your boys?
Here is a pic, though right now my bigger boy is starting to stand his ground, he might be fed up with getting pushed around. Just in this picture the one laying down was rumbling but not moving. Earlier they were doing the dance where they wiggle but instead of rumbling they were making those soft wheeks, I think they said it was chutting. They are kinda strange.

Orange - Sherman
Black - shaggy
They are my Halloween piggies!20201030_142628.webp

Here is a pic, though right now my bigger boy is starting to stand his ground, he might be fed up with getting pushed around. Just in this picture the one laying down was rumbling but not moving. Earlier they were doing the dance where they wiggle but instead of rumbling they were making those soft wheeks, I think they said it was chutting. They are kinda strange.

Orange - Sherman
Black - shaggy
They are my Halloween piggies!

Try uploading the picture via the 'Attach files' button below your post.

Back