They are full of surprises (Tweeting)

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rufus has been stood ontop of his favourite hide tweeting loudly for a good few minutes. I've heard about the elusive Guinea pig tweet before but I've never experienced it. He goes quite if we enter the room but he's been letting us watch from the doorway. Does anyone know/ have any theories on what it means. Is he happy, is he sad, is he hurt, Is it a bad omen, is it a good omen, does it mean a storms coming, are we lucky, are we unlucky, does he just want food.

I wonder if piggies and snakes are like other animals that can sense impending natural events - like birds going quiet before an earthquake.

The jury is out on why guinea pigs chirp - no one has come up with a conclusive suggestion as to the reasons for it.

I've only ever ad ne piggy do this. He did it twice and nothing bad ever happened! I think you are lucky to hear it.
Mine are all full of beans tonight. They are showing off popcorning and zooming, we have a new foster today, he's joining in which is lovely to see.

I wonder if piggies and snakes are like other animals that can sense impending natural events - like birds going quiet before an earthquake.

The jury is out on why guinea pigs chirp - no one has come up with a conclusive suggestion as to the reasons for it.
Spirit can definitely tell when a storms coming usually it's just like half an hour or so before it starts he'll be up at the glass or trying to get as high up as possible. I guess in the wild being a ground dwelling creature that often lives in holes in the ground makes you vulnerable to heavy rainfall. I've struggled to find evidence to back this up but I've definitely noticed he does this.

Here is our chirping guide. It lists what we can say for sure about it. Chirping

You generally hear it when there is some tension/unease in the room for some reason but the vast majority of piggies will never chirp and any chirper is usually very surprised the first time the bird sounds break out from their mouth. Chirping has a strong situational component; playing an audio out of context will send your piggies rushing into hiding.

Once you have a chirper, it is more likely that you hear chirping repeatedly or that if you have a fair number of piggies in the same room that another piggy may pick it up as well. Many piggies are one-off chirpers but others can become much more prolific and can teach themselves to modulate their chirping.

It is still a bit of a mystery because it is so elusive.

Wow... it is interesting. I've had one chirp (and he only did it the once). When I entered the room, I discovered it was most likely because a plastic bag had fallen over and into their cage, so it probably startled them and he was on high alert!

I do think animals can sense ahead of us. Our horses certainly know that some weather is coming in later!

Ok what is with animals today! I have had a scruffy looking black cat begging at my back door for a couple of days mum said she looked like she was lactating when she saw her. I opened the back door but didn't have any food for her so she hissed and ran off. I looked outside this morning to see next doors garden overran with kittens they look too young to have been let out on purpose so I've put the weirdest note I've ever had to write through the neighbours door. I don't want to interfere if they are the neighbours but I'm happy to help if not. The cat has a coller with a bell on so must have belonged to someone at some point. Could this be what rufus was trying to tell me

Back