• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

There’s a fleshy scab on my guinea pig

emcc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This morning I found a little patch of my guinea pigs fur missing, I picked her up to investigate what it was. As I was checking through her fur there was a fleshy red scab on her back.
I’ve researched everything about it to figure out how it could’ve happened but i’m still not too sure.

I have two female guinea pigs, both around 7 months old, and share a cage together, my conclusion is that the other guinea pig might’ve bitten the poor little one, as i’ve seen them fighting a bit recently.

Please reply or comment if you know anything about this scab!

I agree, a hands on vet check is needed to diagnose the cause and prescribe any required treatment.

If you suspect it may be a bite, then please watch your piggies very closely. Sows are less likely to have a full on fight (it’s more something boars do when they don’t get on ) but if they are not getting on well and are causing injuries to each other then they may need to be separated.

I agree she will need to see a vet for correct diagnosis and treatment. Guinea pigs are prone to both fungal infections and mites that burrow under the skin, both of which can cause extreme itching leading to self trauma.

This morning I found a little patch of my guinea pigs fur missing, I picked her up to investigate what it was. As I was checking through her fur there was a fleshy red scab on her back.
I’ve researched everything about it to figure out how it could’ve happened but i’m still not too sure.

I have two female guinea pigs, both around 7 months old, and share a cage together, my conclusion is that the other guinea pig might’ve bitten the poor little one, as i’ve seen them fighting a bit recently.

Please reply or comment if you know anything about this scab!

Hi and welcome
How long have you had your guinea pigs?

Please see a vet. We cannot tell you sight unseen whether you are dealing with a burst cyst or a potential outbreak of mange mites or potentially also ringworm with your girl biting herself bloody from the discomfort. They all require different treatment but you'll need a hands-on examination to determine what your girl has.

I know that most people think of fighting bites but they are actually extremely rare in sows; bloody scabs are usually self-inflicted from scratching and biting an area of discomfort or from fungal ringworm exudate that has built up on the skin is coming off with the top layer of the skin. In newly bought guinea pigs, you are dealing pretty much always with either mange mites or ringworm. They can look very similar at the very start of the outbreak.

More information on guinea pig parasites and ringworm/fungal skin infections in this link here: New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

We have a new owners information and helpful practical advice collection to help them to as good a start as possible which you may find useful and may want to bookmark. The above link is part of it: Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Back