• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

The worst thing

• Thread starter Thread starter imjustjenny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imjustjenny

I got a guinea pig 7 days ago and she just died. I am devistated. I dont know what could have been wrong and I was wondering if anyone could at least give me a clue. I named her Jinxee, she was very small. I let her out of her cage and she had a whole room to herself. She ran, she hopped, she was very active. I even set my house tempreture lower than what it we like it. Its at 76. I just dont understand. The only thing I saw that could have had a slight role in it is she occasionally sneezed, but it wasnt constant. It was maybe twice a day. I made sure she had hay, and I made sure she drank her water because it had the vitamin drops in it. And I could tell she was eating pretty well. So I didnt really see any reason for her to pass. I just want to come to terms with why. I know that its not an easy answer to find. I just feel bad because in her cage it seemed like she struggled pretty bad and I cried for like an hour bc of that. :( I just dont understand. there is this confused feeling I have, I feel kinda lost because we were just beginning to bond.

Oh love first of all welcome from us here in OZ :)
My heart goes out to you :'( :'( :'(, i don't know just sometimes they come to us with an ailment that can't be seen :'( :'( :'(
Sometimes unfortunately when they're in the process of leaving us for the bridge they do struggle, please know that there wouldn't have been anything you could have done to help :'(
Piggie kisses from Duke and hugs from me to comfort you :'( :'( :'(

RIP little piggie run free at the bridge, our little Sully will look after you so your mummy doesn't have to worry :'( :'( :'( 0:)

Sorry to hear of your loss.Sometimes they seem to die for no apparent reason.Run free at the bridge little one.

This is so sad for you,but sometimes piggies do die suddenly for no obvious reason.There was nothing you could have done.Please be comforted in the fact that it is very unlikely that your piggy suffered at all.

Have a look at WWW.petergurney.com under death. This is very comforting and will help you to understand what happens when a piggy dies.

I do hope you will get another piggy.or 2, .There are lots of piggies needing a caring person to look after them.

Hugs from The Epsom Mob

hi,

I am so sorry for your loss. I had something like that happen to me before I got my current piggie. i had bought a guinea pig several years back (it was a baby boar) and he was sneezing and staying in a corner I thought maybe he was just scared at first. Well, he died the next morning. I didn;t even get a chance to name him. (sob) I believe the problem was pneummonia (sorry if that is not spelled correctly) I got a refund from the store and btw I did not buy another one from that particular store. The pggie I have now is Shadow and I am very close to him. I am sure you will find another piggy friend or two and that you will be very close. Best of luck to you.

Rest in Peace little Jinkees

piggy hugs

I'm very sorry for your loss :'( but I think I might know what it was.
My piggie died two days after I got him, and he died of a heart attack.
He probably saw or heard something in the middle of the night like a tap dripping or the pipes creaking and thought it was a fox. Then he probably had a heart attack. This does occasionaly happen and I know it feels horrible but at least he wasnt in pain. Just remember that it wasnt your fault.
Sleep tight little one 0:)

I'm sorry for you loss :[

Just so you know for future reference - Please do not put Vitamin C drops into their water. It's not good for them.

Since when is that not good for them? Everything I have read has said the exact opposite... ?

Help why?

Skylark said:
I'm sorry for you loss :[

Just so you know for future reference - Please do not put Vitamin C drops into their water. It's not good for them.

I've just read this and am panicing , have I done something awful to my pigs?

Its news to me that its bad for them. The benefits are debatable, as they only drink a small amount of water so wouldn't really be taking that much in. But i didn't think it could harm them....

I've seen lots of threads saying its fine to use...?

As far as I am aware we shouldn't put drops in the water because Vit C depletes within a short time, it also makes the water taste bad so they may drink less :) Don't know about whether or not it would actually harm them. We add a couple of drops to their fave foods about twice / three times per week rather than their water.

thankyou all for replynig :)
I will put it on their food instead from now on ::)

No medication or supplement should be added to drinking water.You have no control over how much the piggies are drinking.Some pigs tend to drink more than others.Putting meds.etc on the food is o.k. but the safest method is to give by syringe.That way you know that the piggy has had the exact amount.

If your piggies have lots of veggies,vitimin c supplementation is not necessary as they will get all the vits they need from the food.The only time I give extra vits is if a piggy cannot eat veggies because of a dental problem,or if the piggy has an infection.

so I don't actually need it then? I only used as my old vet said to :embarassed:

Yes, a vet we saw in the past recommended to put drops in the water too ::) As Mary says, it shouldn't really be neccessary to add at all if they have fresh (not wilted etc) veg every day, some foods are higher in Vit C than others. We put it on occasionally as a precaution, mainly because of the damage a C Cit deficiency can do to a piggie over time, but don't like doing it too much, and it smells disgusting so I bet it doesn't taste too good even on their fave bits of carrot! However I would definately use it with syringe feeding if they were ill, or mash it into a bit of banana, they love that.

Don't be embarrassed about what your vet told you, many vets aren't really that great with Guineas!

No need to bother with the vitamin drops, the benefits are not debatable, they're non existent. Ascorbic acid degrades within a couple of hours on contact with light so, after that time, there's no vitamin C left. Other vitamins and minerals in it make it, when mixed with water, a superb breeding ground for bacteria which can obviously cause tummy problems in piggies.

As maryh says supplementation is only needed when they're unwell and then low-dose human vitamin tablets (100mg) can be broken into 4 (making it 25mg) and a quarter just popped in their mouths.

I give a variety of fresh veg twice a day so unless poorly there's no need for it any more , thanks for the advice ....if they were ill (hopefully never)... I would be on here like a shot asking for advice . thanks again sammy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back