The story so far, your thoughts/help please x

metalhead

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, as some of you may know, Smokey joe went for residential bonding and came home to me on 21/03 with a new friend called percy who i love so much already. The day after they had got home and settled in i gave them both a health check. Smokey had lost 100g over the 10 days he was away bonding, which i put down to stress/change of diet/bonding process etc. I was told weight loss was normal during bonding. However i found a fairly large, very angry looking growth on percys grease gland, i let the charity know and booked a vet appt. My (very experienced exotics) vet said it was a benign adenoma and put some local anesthetic in and tied it off and said it should fall off in a week to 10 days. That was on 24/03. two days later the boys had a huge falling out and on the advice of the charity i separated over night. i reintroduced in the morning (sat) and they seemed fine, but when i got up on sunday morning they were in the midst of another falling out, i let it go as far as i could, much further than my nerves allowed, but it got to rearing up, chattering and lunging so i separated again, and they are still separate now. Smokey Joe has lost another 50g since being home with me, so 50g this past week and 150g in total, this worries me considerably. The charity and i both think the falling out is because Smokey can smell the dying wound, but then i am concerned about Smokeys continued weight loss since being bonded with percy. I have been advised to keep them separate until the wound falls off and try to reintroduce, which is my intention. I am weighing Smokey daily. The charity are gutted that they did not spot percys adenoma, but these things happen, it is under a mountain of fur! i am just meticulous in my health checks and dont have many pigs to be dealing with so can afford the time, the charity have been nothing but amazing throughout it all, i just wanted your thoughts/advice/experience about the situation if i may please?

I am sorry the whole process has been so stressful for you and the piggies.

To be honest at this point I think you need to accept that Smokey Joe and Percy have had several major falling outs, and it is not in their best interests to try and rebond them.
Once piggies reach the stage of real aggression then the chances of them going back together successfully long term are almost zero.
Given that Smokey Joe is also loosing weight continuously I would keep them separated permanently.
To be honest I am surprised that the charity have advised you to try rebinding them - can I ask if it is a charity on our list of approved rescues?
Sadly pretty much anyone in the UK can set themselves up as a 'rescue', but if they are a registered charity then that is different.

I am sure others with more experience will be along to share their thoughts soon, but one of my long term pairs fell out when one piggy was ill, and despite my optimism that they would rebound, sadly they never did.

Last edited:
I had boars fall out when one was ill and a major fail at rebonding. They are now living happily side by side the one that lost weight while they were together regained the lost weight and some more. These two had lived together for 2.5 years before falling out but are much more relaxed living beside each other than they ever were together.
I'd be tempted to leave your two side by side and not risk trying them together again, they have long memories!

I am sorry the whole process has been so stressful for you nd the piggies.

o behest a this point I think you need to accept that Smokey Joe and Percy have had several major falling outs and it is not in their best interests to try and rebound them.
Once piggies reach the stage of real aggression then the chances of them going back together successfully long term are almost zero.
Given that Smokey Joe is also loosing weight continuously I would keep them separated permanently.
To be honest I am surprised that the charity have advised you to try rebinding them - can I ask if it is a charity on our list of approved rescues?
Sadly pretty much anyone in the UK can set themselves up as a 'rescue', but if they are a registered charity then that is different.

I am sure others with more experience will be along to share their thoughts soon, but one of my long term pairs fell out when one piggy was ill, and despite my optimism that they would rebound, sadly they never did.
Yes it is Little Wheekers, i had had my fill of supposed "rescues" before i got in touch with them. They have been nothing but supportive and kind and helpful, and are really trying to do all they can to keep them together. The plan was to try and re introduce them once the growth had fallen off and percys scent gland was normal again. i am taking it a day at a time, if i lose percy now i will be mortified, i do not have to room to keep two separate cages or side by side cages.

I had boars fall out when one was ill and a major fail at rebonding. They are now living happily side by side the one that lost weight while they were together regained the lost weight and some more. These two had lived together for 2.5 years before falling out but are much more relaxed living beside each other than they ever were together.
I'd be tempted to leave your two side by side and not risk trying them together again, they have long memories!
Thanks but that is not an option for me. I dont have the room sadly x

Yes it is Little Wheekers, i had had my fill of supposed "rescues" before i got in touch with them. They have been nothing but supportive and kind and helpful, and are really trying to do all they can to keep them together. The plan was to try and re introduce them once the growth had fallen off and percys scent gland was normal again. i am taking it a day at a time, if i lose percy now i will be mortified, i do not have to room to keep two separate cages or side by side cages.
That's great news - clearly they will be able to help guide you towards the best outcome for both of the boys.

That's great news - clearly they will be able to help guide you towards the best outcome for both of the boys.
I was just wandering what other peoples experiences were really. i am amazed at what is allowed to be called a rescue, the first so called one i went to was just appalling and she really messed me around, lied to me and then ignored my emails! There needs to be some sort of regulation. LW have been totally incredible, I'm just worried i am going to have to give percy back, and from what you and others have said, it looks like that is where its going, which makes me really sad, for me and for smokey joe.

Back