The Indoor to Outdoor Transition

xRoan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all!

I just took in a pair of boars, Curly and Larry, who were previously indoor-only. I cannot have guinea pigs inside the house per my parent’s rules—

However, the poor boys seem pretty hot and miserable. Laying sprawled out, shifting positions every couple of minutes, breathing a little heavier than my girls who have been raised outdoors. They are two and one year old, respectively, and I want to make this transition as easy as possible.

I have bottles of ice water covered w a rag, but they haven’t seemed to notice/don’t like them.

How else can I help? I am able to shave them, but the flies are relatively bad and I’m not sure if I am able to shave Curly’s coat. He has a frizzy Tex(?) coat versus all of my other pigs.

Attachments

• 0A3DC640-4565-44B6-BD5D-5CE32C604074.webp
    0A3DC640-4565-44B6-BD5D-5CE32C604074.webp
    102.2 KB · Views: 10
  • B2BCE4DF-3448-4CB2-8C31-10CB52CF273A.webp
    B2BCE4DF-3448-4CB2-8C31-10CB52CF273A.webp
    53 KB · Views: 10
If they are not long haired piggies please don’t shave them.
whereabouts do you live, country wise? Fly strike is an absolute killer so best to buy some fly guard spray and use that during the hot months when outside. Flys are attracted to their poo so it’s important to keep them clean as possible and not leaving any spoiled food left in their enclosure

:agr: Please don’t shave them. Are they now indoors or out? If the former, try and keep the room cool. I don’t know if you have A/C? Also close the curtains and open the window a crack. Some members on here have hung a damp towel on a window or on one corner of the cage. You could also use a fan, as long as it’s not directed straight at them. Have a read of the guide below for more ideas.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

:agr: Please don’t shave them. Are they now indoors or out? If the former, try and keep the room cool. I don’t know if you have A/C? Also close the curtains and open the window a crack. Some members on here have hung a damp towel on a window or on one corner of the cage. You could also use a fan, as long as it’s not directed straight at them. Have a read of the guide below for more ideas.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
They are now “outdoors”. It’s a garage with no A/C, a large-scale version of some members’ sheds that I’ve seen around. I have a fan on the girls so will definitely swing by and buy another for these two. Damp towel is a good idea as well!

If they are not long haired piggies please don’t shave them.
whereabouts do you live, country wise? Fly strike is an absolute killer so best to buy some fly guard spray and use that during the hot months when outside. Flys are attracted to their poo so it’s important to keep them clean as possible and not leaving any spoiled food left in their enclosure
I’m in the US. The flies are horrible this year, been trying to keep on top of daily spot cleans! Thank you!

Hello. When we had a heat wave recently I covered up the windows with blankets to keep the sun out. Definitely helped. Keep doors and windows shut as the hot air will come in. Open them very early or late once the outside temperature is cooler than the garage.

I’m in the US. The flies are horrible this year, been trying to keep on top of daily spot cleans! Thank you!
Well clearly I’m not aware of that information! Since you’re being abrupt.
shaving is still not the answer, cutting hair short yes but shaving no. You asked for advice I gave it.
BTW you can also use fly guard material to place over/around there enclosure.

Well clearly I’m not aware of that information! Since you’re being abrupt.
shaving is still not the answer, cutting hair short yes but shaving no. You asked for advice I gave it.
BTW you can also use fly guard material to place over/around there enclosure.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't intend on coming off as abrupt! I tend to use exclamation marks as fluctuation in dictation over text to attempt to avoid sounding like an ass lol. It does say US under my location, I just answered honestly.

I just bought some thinning shears to keep the hair long so I will be trying them out here when I have some more time.

I bought some fly traps, some sort of mesh is a good idea as well!

Back