The forage is looking good now

Cheekypigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dandelions everywhere! Also the nettles are coming up - once they're a bit taller I'll get a bundle and dry them.

Today we gave our pigs their first try of raspberry leaves and sticky willy (goosegrass/cleavers). Big thumbs up!

I need to get better at recognising other pig-friendly weeds, it's a big money-saver and they seem, if anything, more enthusiastic about the forage than the shop bought veg!

It's only about 2 or 3 inches tall but it won't be that way for long!

The sticky weed is a complete nuisance in my garden, you can come and take it all if you like! Squeaks will eat a little of it, but I'd need hundreds of piggies to keep it under control :xd:

I've been waiting all winter for more forage to pop up. I dried some last year but seriously underestimated how much the pigs go through, so this year I'm hoping to be more prepared!

So far I have some grass, nettle, dandelions and bittercress drying. Hoping to get some more nettle from a track near by as well as some sticky weed and bramble leaves.

Later on in the year I normally have a lot of yarrow and herb Robert too. When the strawberries and raspberries have finished for the season I'll take leaves off those as well. I'm constantly looking around the garden for stuff the pigs can eat. 😅

Last year I dried some raspberry leaves, blackberry leaves, stinging nettles (gloved hands!), dandelions and dandelion leaves. Didn’t last long, the piggies had a ferocious appetite for it. I’m thinking I should get some dandelion together now before the husband mows the lawn…

I have an abundant supply of sticky weed in my garden. Also some yarrow now after I planted seed for that the year before last. Then my apple tree, willow, mint, strawberries and brambles!

I can get a lovely supply from the garden if I’m not feeling adventurous going out in the wild! I love this time of year.

Last year I dried some raspberry leaves, blackberry leaves, stinging nettles (gloved hands!), dandelions and dandelion leaves. Didn’t last long, the piggies had a ferocious appetite for it. I’m thinking I should get some dandelion together now before the husband mows the lawn…
Can they eat stinging nettles? I had no idea.

Yes, I found this out after buying a box of hay online that said it included nettle stalks. They looked really uninspiring, like dry brown twigs, but the pigs DEMOLISHED them. So now I'm just waiting for the nettles to get tall enough to harvest. I'm assuming they would get stung if they eat them fresh so I'm going to dry them.

Yes they can 🙂 and they loved them when I gave them out. Husband got rid of them though so won’t have much of a supply this year

Yes they can 🙂 and they loved them when I gave them out. Husband got rid of them though so won’t have much of a supply this year
Just fresh? No need for drying? My mum has them in abundance (much to her annoyance) in her garden.

Our boys are now having grass and weeds instead of veg at least every second day. Saves a bit of money and they love it! Mostly strawberry leaves and sticky willy as that's what's available in our garden. For some reason dandelions don't really like our garden 🤷
20230428_091051.webp

Lovely you have so much of it already in the UK... I'm getting so impatient, it was snowing early this morning here 😭Grass is still short and patchy, just found two tiny dandelion leaves in a pot in the yard last night though. In a few days everything will start growing like crazy, as we're starting to have daylight almost 'round the clock. Can't wait! 😁

I got birch, crab apple, hawthorn, bramble, hazel, plantain, some vetch, willow and dandelion.

I didn't know they could eat birch, that's good to know! Also hawthorn, there are lots of new hawthorn leaves round here.

Back