• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

The Cat and Rabbit Clinic, Northampton - Referrals for guinea pigs with dental issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
I have spoken with the practice regarding this and have been told that the correct protocol is as follows:-

Please do NOT call the practice yourself, but ask your current vet, who is treating your guinea pig, to ask for a referral and to email the up to date history, marked for the attention of Simon Maddock, to [email protected]

Once Simon has had chance to look at the clinical notes, the practice will contact you, to arrange an appointment.

I have spoken with the practice regarding this and have been told that the correct protocol is as follows:-

Please do NOT call the practice yourself, but ask your current vet, who is treating your guinea pig, to ask for a referral and to email the up to date history, marked for the attention of Simon Maddock, to [email protected]

Once Simon has had chance to look at the clinical notes, the practice will contact you, to arrange an appointment.
I have a guinea pig who has been diagnosed with temporo mandibular disease. I'm really not sure about this at all, as most cases I've Googled online, seem to lead back to other dental problems. I'm desperate for a straight (read 'correct') answer on this. Can I ask, do you think my current vet would be miffed if I ask for a referral? And also, do you have any idea of how much the referral might cost? Last time I was referred to another practice, it cost me over £100. I have all three guineas seeing the vet at the mo and it is costing me a fortune, in repeat visits and I'm getting desperate as nothing seems to get resolved, so I'm losing faith and money fast!

I have a guinea pig who has been diagnosed with temporo mandibular disease. I'm really not sure about this at all, as most cases I've Googled online, seem to lead back to other dental problems. I'm desperate for a straight (read 'correct') answer on this. Can I ask, do you think my current vet would be miffed if I ask for a referral? And also, do you have any idea of how much the referral might cost? Last time I was referred to another practice, it cost me over £100. I have all three guineas seeing the vet at the mo and it is costing me a fortune, in repeat visits and I'm getting desperate as nothing seems to get resolved, so I'm losing faith and money fast!
At the end of the day you are the customer and pay dearly for the vets knowledge and skill. You are very much entitled to ask to be referred, it’s not a question of your vet “feeling miffed” I would ask for a referral to Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. You will get a diagnosis there and then, and if a dental is needed it will be done consciously with no anaesthetic to worry about. Takes about 5-10 minutes and he and his wife Kim are both excellent guinea pig vets and have amazing success with dental issues x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back