The Bonding I said I probably wouldn’t try!

Piggies&buns

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t believe I'm doing this….i have Popcorn and Wilbur in a bonding pen! Ive been back and forth over whether to try it.
Wilbur is dominant. Popcorn was the dominant when his previous cagemate Dexter was alive. I decided to take the chance given Popcorn is 6, bereaved and with any luck isn’t interested in dominance. They’ve been living side by side since March.

They’ve been together for about 20 minutes. Bit of rumbling, a few half hearted attempts at mounting from Wil, submission from Pops. Actually rather uneventful so far and of course that is what we want!
Although Popcorn does look a bit disappointed, like he has figured out he will possibly have to start sharing his dinner again!

I’m have my fingers firmly crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_4109.webp
    IMG_4109.webp
    220.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4113.webp
    IMG_4113.webp
    226.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4111.webp
    IMG_4111.webp
    226 KB · Views: 1
I can’t believe I'm doing this….i have Popcorn and Wilbur in a bonding pen! Ive been back and forth over whether to try it.
Wilbur is dominant. Popcorn was the dominant when his previous cagemate Dexter was alive. I decided to take the chance given Popcorn is 6, bereaved and with any luck isn’t interested in dominance. They’ve been living side by side since March.

They’ve been together for about 20 minutes. Bit of rumbling, a few half hearted attempts at mounting from Wil, submission from Pops. Actually rather uneventful so far and of course that is what we want!
Although Popcorn does look a bit disappointed, like he has figured out he will possibly have to start sharing his dinner again!

I’m have my fingers firmly crossed!

All the best. They are at an age where the testosterone has fizzled out and companionship outweighs dominance...

45 mins in. Wil occasionally tries to mount Popcorn, Pops doesn’t look too keen but certainly isn’t protesting much.

Yes, Popcorn is 6 and Wilbur is almost 2 so I hope Pops just lets Wil get on with it and takes it in his stride.

When Wilbur lived with Hugo, although they were both dominant, I'm pretty sure Hugo was the instigator of the issues between them. Hugo will have to remain single and beside these two (assuming things continue to go well!).

Popcorn has just run to Wilbur for comfort when a blackbird flew over squawking, and now they are laying together.
I’ll give it until 8.30pm and if all is still will then clean out and combine cages, move them and monitor for another hour or so.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.webp
    IMG_4114.webp
    183.6 KB · Views: 7
45 mins in. Wil occasionally tries to mount Popcorn, Pops doesn’t look too keen but certainly isn’t protesting much.

Yes, Popcorn is 6 and Wilbur is almost 2 so I hope Pops just lets Wil get on with it and takes it in his stride.

When Wilbur lived with Hugo, although they were both dominant, I'm pretty sure Hugo was the instigator of the issues between them. Hugo will have to remain single and beside these two (assuming things continue to go well!).

Popcorn has just run to Wilbur for comfort when a blackbird flew over squawking, and now they are laying together.
I’ll give it until 8.30pm and if all is still will then clean out and combine cages, move them and monitor for another hour or so.

Fingers firmly crossed but it sounds promising.

I couldn’t be happier! I’m glad I took the risk!

Hugo was being a bit of a pain between the bars last night - their three separate cages were in a row so Hugo was only used to having Wilbur beside him but now he has both of them. He will get used to it!

I couldn’t be happier! I’m glad I took the risk!

Hugo was being a bit of a pain between the bars last night - their three separate cages were in a row so Hugo was only used to having Wilbur beside him but now he has both of them. He will get used to it!

Boys...

But so glad that Popcorn and Wilbur have gelled. You can simply never tell with piggies until you've tried. When the chips are down, Wilbur feels happier with having a mate; especially one who has accepted him as a leader straight away.

Back