Texel Long Hair

VanessaC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently got a 4 month old male Texel called Duster as a new companion for his 20 month old Jasper who recently lost his brother. I’ve had Teddy’s, and American and Jasper is a Rex.
When I chose him from the breeder I didn’t actually really think about the maintenance of his crazy hair! He’s lovely and friendly and always seems to be popcorning and wheeking.
He is tame but he’s quite hard to get hold of. I’ve managed to trim around his backside as best I could do at the point and another couple of days I managed to brush a little bit of hair each size. He’s quite knotty and with thick curls underneath, the breeder didn’t brush him.
I can’t get him to sit for long as he is so mad and full of life. I’m a bit scared to try and bath him. Is there anything similar to get spray in conditioner like we can get for our hair just to try and get these tangled out.
I think maybe once the tangles are managed I think he’ll enjoy a brush.
Maybe I should get a tangle teezer like I have for me hair 😂😂

Hi, your new piggy sounds lovely!
I once owned a Abyssinian and I wasn't expecting him to grow such long hair and eventually this developed into a knot problem. As I was not aware of his breed at the time when I purchased him. I could not get the knots out so how I dealt with the issue is simply cutting them out. First I brushed him so that the knots weren't as big, and I wasn't taking a chunk out of his fur. But I still had to cut the worst bits out. Hopefully it won't be so bad that you'll have to do the same.🤞 I haven't heard of a conditioner for guinea pigs, but it still may be possible to find a product that'll de-tangle fur.

This is the comb that I have for my lunkarya:
039FFFED-BB0C-43A6-B0BC-094C90F188DD.webp

I believe this one may have come from the dog section of a pet shop. The teeth move and spin, which seems to help. The embossed words says "The Untangler®" You may still need to clip the worst mats ... Having had long furred dogs, too, I've found sometimes even just cutting into the mat can make the combing easier if you don't want to completely cut it out.

I had a finer toothed comb for my Peruvian, but she had very fine hair. It didn't work well with the coarser rexoid hair. Try combing an section of hair that isn't tangled to make sure the comb you're using is compatible with your piggy's hair.

Thanks guys.
It sounds absolutely getting advice on brushing hair! I did a little bit more last night and cut some tufts of around his bum.
He doesn’t make it easy for me at all with his bouncing and wanting to get down.
Someone advised a bath but I don’t feel confident in doing that yet.
I’ll have a look at the comb you suggested Princess. Although I brushed my previous ones - an American, Rex and Teddy.
Duster is the most active and happy boys I’ve ever had

My Ginny is a Texel and i find its best to cut out any knots or mats in her fur rather than subject her to trying to brush them out. During the summer I keep her bum area nice and trimmed. I don’t have to worry about her top end because one of my skinny’s like to keep her fur nice and trimmed up there 🙄😂🙄

My long haired piggie pepper has some texel in him (we think) I have found using a comb is better than a brush, a fairly wide tooth one will be best for him, although in the summer I cut peppers hair short which may be a good option for you and then you can get him used to brushing as it grows back and it will be a bit more manageable, pepper doesn’t enjoy brushing too much but we are lucky he doesn’t get knots as his fur is soft.
Good luck!
Here he is post a recent hair cut!

Attachments

• 59E5B37D-00B2-4FE1-886B-A4FDA2681AB5.webp
    59E5B37D-00B2-4FE1-886B-A4FDA2681AB5.webp
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 8CD6F9F7-D7D3-463C-B104-0C611919E4F4.webp
    8CD6F9F7-D7D3-463C-B104-0C611919E4F4.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
My long haired piggie pepper has some texel in him (we think) I have found using a comb is better than a brush, a fairly wide tooth one will be best for him, although in the summer I cut peppers hair short which may be a good option for you and then you can get him used to brushing as it grows back and it will be a bit more manageable, pepper doesn’t enjoy brushing too much but we are lucky he doesn’t get knots as his fur is soft.
Good luck!
Good luck!
Haha, like shearing a sheep 😂😂
Yes, that was another option I was thinking of, just to cut it all and start over again!

Haha, like shearing a sheep 😂😂
Yes, that was another option I was thinking of, just to cut it all and start over again!
Especially given it’s summer time I’m sure he would appreciate it!

We don't brush... but it grows like you wouldn't believe and she gets a cut every couple of months. When it's short I see her groom but as it gets longer she doesn't seem to bother apart from a good scratch every now and again! Her tummy hair is not so long and very soft - I leave this on if it's clean so she always has a soft place to lie 💕

floofy exhaustion.webp springtime trim.webp

I recently got a 4 month old male Texel called Duster as a new companion for his 20 month old Jasper who recently lost his brother. I’ve had Teddy’s, and American and Jasper is a Rex.
When I chose him from the breeder I didn’t actually really think about the maintenance of his crazy hair! He’s lovely and friendly and always seems to be popcorning and wheeking.
He is tame but he’s quite hard to get hold of. I’ve managed to trim around his backside as best I could do at the point and another couple of days I managed to brush a little bit of hair each size. He’s quite knotty and with thick curls underneath, the breeder didn’t brush him.
I can’t get him to sit for long as he is so mad and full of life. I’m a bit scared to try and bath him. Is there anything similar to get spray in conditioner like we can get for our hair just to try and get these tangled out.
I think maybe once the tangles are managed I think he’ll enjoy a brush.
Maybe I should get a tangle teezer like I have for me hair 😂😂

Hi

Please don't use spray conditioner. It is not suitable for use on guinea pigs.
For hair shampoo with a guinea pig ph, the shampoo from Wee Companions Rescue in San Diego (available from their online shop), would be best; otherwise, plain water will often do better than any baby shampoo.
Wee Companions Small Animal Adoption, Inc. - Animal Accessories

Here is our hair care guide with some really useful tips and videos; especially for the coming summer months. You can miminise the brushing and bathing stress considerably with judcious haircuts; especially over the hotter months of the year, not having a big hairdo will be a huge relief: An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

We don't brush... but it grows like you wouldn't believe and she gets a cut every couple of months. When it's short I see her groom but as it gets longer she doesn't seem to bother apart from a good scratch every now and again! Her tummy hair is not so long and very soft - I leave this on if it's clean so she always has a soft place to lie 💕

View attachment 203608 View attachment 203610
Oh my gosh she is so cute 😍😍 What a difference in her appearance from the before and after shots!

Attachments

• 941C44A0-0EFC-4B3F-B063-5FE7E84A2958.webp
    941C44A0-0EFC-4B3F-B063-5FE7E84A2958.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
Back