Tesco hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Tesco have just started big bags of hay on the internet - got my first two last wheek.

I found a lot of long, tough, hard and spiky bits in it >:(

Gave myself a splinter too. Anyone else tried this hay?

No, but I was going to. I have their food sometimes and give it as a change from Cavy Cuisine (just about goes round the shed LOL!) so won't try it now ;D

Hay and Herbs I get mine here and the Oxbow from SPH. My meadow hay comes from the farm.

Mine love the Tesco food.

I have to say the hay from Sainsburys is very nice and soft. And there is a pigture of a guinea on the packet :)

I got to the bottom of my bale quicker than I expected around Christmas and had to run out and get a bag of the Tesco stuff myself. It was dusty and coarse. Piggys were not too keen.

Never liked the Tesco hay after a while for the reasons you mentioned. Other times it would be tiny bits - very dusty!

i had to buy a pack of Tesco hay as I had no other choice the other evening. I had cleaned the piggies out and not realised I had run out! The stuff was awful and small, no way could they burrow in it of a nighttime!

I felt instantly guilty and on the way home from work the next day I bought a nice big bag from my local pet shop to get myself back in their good books ;D

karenrgpr said:
No, but I was going to. I have their food sometimes and give it as a change from Cavy Cuisine (just about goes round the shed LOL!) so won't try it now ;D

Hay and Herbs I get mine here and the Oxbow from SPH. My meadow hay comes from the farm.

What products do you usually buy, I have just got mine some timothy hay (they have ordinary hay as well as they are only young - not sure if the should have just timothy), but just wondered what is the best to give them?

The 'best' hay is hay that is not dusty and either golden or greenish in colour. Timothy (without the Rye grasses) has the correct balance of Calcium to Phosphorus, as does the Orchard Grass.

Its not necessary for them to have 'just Timothy' but variety is good. Mine like the Alpine hay too. The Herbal hayi s the same but has flowers and herbs with it that mine leave, as its more expensive to buy I don't get it in for mine.

Apart from Oxbow I have found tim hays coarse and stalky, even the 2nd cut. Guineas prefer leafy hays- as recommended on the link in the post above :) If you want hebal hays you can choose the ones your guineas like eg Dandelion and Plantain, and mix them in with your Alpine Hay :)

The hay that I sell is all in aid of the rescue and the pigs here try it first. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back