Terrified Of Nail Clipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I think it's coming to the time where the pigs need their nails clipping.. I'm terrified!

So I was wondering, has anyone taken your pigs to the vets? Or to Pets at Home? Or anywhere else to have their nails clipped?

And also, if you don't mind me asking, how much it cost you?:D

My vet does Peanut Butter's nails as he is there every month for dentals anyway. They charge me $17 which is about 8 pounds. Some of our piggy shelters offer nail clipping for about 5 pounds.

Try the UK rescue locator button at the top to see if there is a shelter near you. You can then ask them if they trim nails and how much. Probably cheaper than a vet. As nails need trimming once a month though you might be able to work out a deal with a vet. My vet does Peanut Butter's dentals at half price because the boy is there every month for about 3 years now. I used the savings to get PB's nails done.

Jackson's nails used to grow at such a rapid rate! He was so docile until it came to cutting them, he was having none of that!

I got the vet to do his, cost me around £8 but worth it. He seemed to behave for them (typical!) and it was done and stress free in a short space of time.

it stresses me out too! I like mine to grow abit long (not proper long) just so i know I'm not gonna be making mistakes! Its coming to that time now though and I dont want to do it aha!

Thankyou guys :D

I'm just soo scared! I don't wanna hurt the poor piggies!

I'd rather pay for vets too clip them than have too pay for a piggie injury!

Thankyou guys :D

I'm just soo scared! I don't wanna hurt the poor piggies!

I'd rather pay for vets too clip them than have too pay for a piggie injury!

I thought that too. Its less stressful for them. Well it was for Jackson anyway! Worth it for the sake of once every few weeks.

I've not taken my girls to the vet ever to clip their nails, but I'm sure it's worth the cost if you really struggle with doing them. Or even to just be shown how to clip them. Human or animals nail clippers are fine, it's probably best you do it yourself, as you'll save money. There are some videos on YouTube on how to clip them, in various positions. Nevertheless, it is still a pant-wetting job to have to do! :mal:

Would cost me a fortune getting my piggies nails cut at the vets, I cut my own piggies nails even if it means I get squeaked at, bitten, scratched... Haven't cut their nails to short as of yet. Always a good sign :)

For me it's practise, an extra pair of hands if needed and a hell of a lot of patience.

i always struggle with doing there claws as they wriggle alot go to cut them then they wriggle, i find it so difficult , so they go to the vets

Many vets will clip nails at a decent rate. A nurse can show you how it is done first time round. ;)

I picked up a pair of nail clippers today.. I got the pigs out for some laptime and they were in a pretty hyper mood, so I decided too leave the nail clipping today for a day when they are calmer!

I'm soo scared too cut them :( but I don't think I can afford vet bills every month!

i took them to one vet, she didnt cut much off and charged me £15 for two pigs, me and my partner tried and tried but it hasnt worke, i have had my pigs for two years and they have always been the same. where the vet cut them alittle bit there starting to curl , my partner cut some off but they really need to go to the vet which i will book this week

3 pounds for my vet Ivy lodge (,I clip them myself but one of my pigs has special requirements) x

Would cost me a fortune getting my piggies nails cut at the vets, I cut my own piggies nails even if it means I get squeaked at, bitten, scratched... Haven't cut their nails to short as of yet. Always a good sign :)

For me it's practise, an extra pair of hands if needed and a hell of a lot of patience.
Agreed with the patience part ! X

The last time ours were done, we took them to the Vet. Normally we do it ourselves, but after catching Meggy-Moo's quick, I was far too nervous! The Vet did it so quickly, it was a lot less stressful for them, but did leave me around £25 lighter! Ouch. The Vet has given us a little pen that you can use to stop bleeding though, so if we do decide to try again, we do have that as a safety net :)

The longer you put it off @Abbie the harder it will be.
You need to show your piggies you're not nervous or they'll be nervous too!
It is a hard task, there is no need to rush the clipping. x

It's so scaryyy!

I asked my vets yesterday and they do it for £6. So it will cost me £12 for my pigs. I'm planning on booking them in to let the vets do it the first time and ask for some tips on how to do it! And then hopfully be able to do it myself!

It's so scaryyy!

I asked my vets yesterday and they do it for £6. So it will cost me £12 for my pigs. I'm planning on booking them in to let the vets do it the first time and ask for some tips on how to do it! And then hopfully be able to do it myself!
God luck!
xx

I usually put mine with their back to my chest and sit their bums on my belly or chest, so with them facing outwards, and therefore I have a good grip of them with one hand, they're sturdy on my belly/chest and then making sure I can see the pink bit in their nails so I don't cut into the quick, I clip away as quickly, but carefully as I can. I was terrified first time too, especially as one of my boars, Elliot, has one (yes, just one) black paw.

My mum takes her piggy to the vet to get it done as he has all black paws and it's about £7.00 a time. She goes once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back