Temporarily separating Boars, due to injury

lovella

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just wondered what people's thoughts are.
I have a ferplast 160, with two boars.
My eldest Boar seems to have hurt his back leg, he's walking (just funny), eating, pooing and weeing. My vet nurse friend has been and seen him this evening and I will take him to the vet in the morning.
I have used the cage divide to seperate the boars (they do have a love hate relationship), just incase my younger one mounts the older one or pushes him over (makes him worse some how) and to ensure my older one rests his leg.
They can see, smell and potentially touch each other through the divide.... I don't want to cause issues in their relationship by separating them, do you think they will be okay when I lift the dividie as they are literally right next to each other?
Thanks in advance

Hi

Please be aware that you need to conduct a full formal re-introduction on neuteral territory outside any cage in order to avoid territorial reactions and brace yourself that your boys (or one of them) may have decided that they are actually happier with having their own space and be friends just through the bars.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Bonds In Trouble

All the best with the recovery and the re-intro.

I agree.
Just lifting the divide to reintroduce won’t work.
You need to introduce them by taking them out of the cage and putting them in neutral territory to rebond them.

Make sure you have a plan so they can live separately if rebonding them doesn’t work (these kind of medical separations can cause problems).

Do also note that dividing a ferplast 160 cannot be a permanent thing if they can’t live together. That cage divided in half means each half is too small to meet welfare requirements. Each piggy needs a minimum of 120x60cm to themselves for welfare purposes.

Back