Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamestriker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all

My piggies are indoors, but the house is cold. We have central heating but no fire as we are still doing the house up.

Any suggestions how I can keep the girls warm especially at night? They have fleece cosies and I have ordered more

Fleece is good way, any idea on the temperature at its lowest points? We will put our heating on timed during the winter months to keep it a decent temperature for them

Hello all

My piggies are indoors, but the house is cold. We have central heating but no fire as we are still doing the house up.

Any suggestions how I can keep the girls warm especially at night? They have fleece cosies and I have ordered more
I keep my heating on low over night, just enough to keep the chill off.

Hay. Lots and lots and lots of hay.

My room gets quite cold in winter. I use shoe boxes stuffed with lots of hay as their bed and it's really cosy for them, both hay and cardboard are good insulators. Also got a head pad to put in their beds for when it gets a bit colder.. any time I put my hand in to pet them it's so warm and cosy :drool:

Snuggleheat safe pads are very good for keeping them warm,place in microwave for 6 mins,retain heat for 10 hours.ive got four and had them 3 years and still in good condition.hay in cardboard boxes may help.:)

I'm sitting in the kitchen now, where the girls live, it feels a bit chilly for me but the girls are out and about eating and seem fine.

They have a pet carrier each, lined with Vet Bed and filled with hay which seemed to work fine last winter.

Hmm the snuggle safe heat pads will be useful if we have snow, but I will up the hay and I have cosies on order

Thank you everyone

I've been popping a snuggle safe heat pad in most days and they love sitting on it. I put them under a hidey and put another hidey or two in without but they usually keep to the snuggle safe one. Only needs heating morning and night and gives me peace of mind that they're not getting too cold. 100% recommend!

I worry about this too. I noticed last year downstairs temperatures during winter got down to about 12 degrees in the early morning. Upstairs tends to stay warmer so never needed heating on at night before. This is my first winter with the guineas. I notice that they tend to not sleep in their huts/cosies much but hoping if they get a bit chilly they will go in their cosies, etc.

How cold is too cold when indoors? This is my first winter with piggies, they are in the playroom. The house isn't generally particularly warm, I have the thermostat set for 19 and then it goes off overnight. I tend to prefer a jumper over turning the heating up...

How cold is too cold when indoors? This is my first winter with piggies, they are in the playroom. The house isn't generally particularly warm, I have the thermostat set for 19 and then it goes off overnight. I tend to prefer a jumper over turning the heating up...
I'd be interested too to know what temperatures are ok. Our piggies are indoors, in a downstairs room. Our house stays very warm upstairs but can get quite chilly overnight in the downstairs rooms.

I have bought one snuggle safe heat pad for tonight. Can they be put in to seagrass hidies or is it dangerous because of the heat?

I really want them to have one tonight but not in the fleece snuggle because they won't share it. The fleece will be OK for now without the pad. I currently have hay in the seagrass nest but is it enough?

Hi , my pig room temp is set to 55f min 85 max, though is summer the max is harder to control

Why not try an electric oil filled radiator? I have one in the shed and it's great. Not expensive to buy or run but great for a small area and generally useful even when the house is up together. I keep it about three feet away from their cage. Make sure you get one with a thermostat.

Really? I have had mine for 6 years, didn't think you could burn them out? Does it just stop working?

Good reminder everyone! I've just topped up the hay in the cage - my living room is very chilly in the night time. Will check out the snuggle safe heat pad. Does anyone know min temp indoors?

I have bought one snuggle safe heat pad for tonight. Can they be put in to seagrass hidies or is it dangerous because of the heat?

It doesn't get hot enough to burn anything... not even as hot as a hot water bottle but it stays warm all day/ night. Honestly I use mine near hay etc and never had an issue. If you want to pop it in, do it. If they're not that cold they'll just ignore it but it's always there if they want it x

65 degrees Fahrenheit is the temperature most websites say, which translates to 18 degrees Celsius.

During winter I keep the pig room at 15 degrees Celsius as 18 makes the room feel stuffy.

I have read that guineas are more tolerant to cooler weather than hot weather. And the fact that lots of guineas are kept outside. Didn't think i'd need to heat the room for them when they are inside. In summer the room temperatures were 15 to 27 degrees. Last winter the room was 12 to 18 degrees.

I am definitely getting a second heat pad when I get paid... And I bought two huge fleece throws for £8.99 in B&M as they fit the C&C cage without needing two of them.

I bought 2 packs so that's 4 fleeces but they have to be washed at 30degrees. Is that OK?

Mine say wash at 30 degrees but I wash them at 60 and they're okay. I wash all the bedding at 60 degrees.
I am definitely getting a second heat pad when I get paid... And I bought two huge fleece throws for £8.99 in B&M as they fit the C&C cage without needing two of them.

I bought 2 packs so that's 4 fleeces but they have to be washed at 30degrees. Is that OK?[/QUOTEMoment

I was also wondering about the temperatures for outside. I need to clean my cages and want to take some of the outside for some fresh grass but the temps have dropped the the high 60 F

I don't have any grass for my girls to go on (I grow concrete, or I will do after the back garden has been dug out).

I did buy some baby pink fleece from a fabric shop 2.25m x 1.5m for the base of the C&C cage. It's so soft...I keep cwtching it!

I wash all my vet bed/fleece at 60 degrees,liners i get made 2 inches bigger than cage to allow for shrinkage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back