• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I really hope someone can help me. I picked up one of my piggies and I notice that one of his big teeth (dunno what to call them) at the front was broken. Should I take him to the Vet, or just leave him be. He is eating fine.

He will be fine

This is quite common even though it must seem alarming for you

How far down is the tooth broken please?

One of our boys, Ginger, lost his two front ones earlier this year. I rushed him straight off the vet (and posted on here for some advice) and found out it does happen. Our vet just checked for any damage to the gum (as both were missing) gave us some Baytril (for infection) and told us to keep our eye on them. They both grew back in no time at all. Flippin' amazing.

The only real thing to watch out for IMO is the gum - if it is broken quite closes to the gum then daily checks should be made to ensure that the tooth is growing away from the gum and that there is no redness

This kind of thing is common - but try and place your piggies in their cage bum first to help avoid the risk of this

I would say its not necessary this time but you might want to go for your own piece of mind

They grow incredibly quickly as well - they will both be level in a week / 10 days max

Keep an eye on the gum and bum first into the cage

They can get broken if they leap out of your arms into their cages and they bang their chins.

ok, he does have a habit of jumping back into his cage so I'll just have to make sure I don't let him. Thanks a lot for your help

I remember the first time Sully broke his front tooth i was frantic i thougt he would not eat and .......
Eventually got on to a vet, now my local vet, and they reassured me that their teeth grew back. Then i discovered guinealynx and after that gpdd and then they told me i should speak to the wonderful barmy4boars :) :) :)
Do hope things work out, they do tend to do these things, ahhhhhhhhhhh that's the life of a guinea pig slave :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I remeber when wilson broke his tooth also and i was freaked out... but it will grow back pretty fast and he will be fine :) lol

he will be fine, guinea pigs teeth constantly grow so the tooth should be nearly fully grown in about 1 week, also guinea pigs teeth do not have any nurves :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back