• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Teeth

cjr

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our guinea pig has started having trouble with his teeth. Vet said one had been damaged and so the bottom teeth are growing around it and making sharp spikes. He started making a clicking sound. He's had them filed twice now. Yesterday the vet suggested we could try getting a fruit log to see if this will help. She said to strip the bark, spray with clean n safe and wash. Is there anywhere we can buy these ready done? We don't have any fruit trees at home. Thanks.

Morning I'm not sure at all but hopefully someone will answer soon.

Are you checking his weight daily to ensure he is still able to eat hay? Stepping in with syringe feeding if weight is being lost.

Is it an incisor or molar which has been damaged?
I’m assuming an incisor given chewing a piece of fruit wood won’t do a single thing for an issue with the molars. Chewing on it may help an incisor a little to file down any rough edges, but if piggy is having any issues or pain due to a damaged incisor then the chances of them wanting to chew on it anyway I would think are diminished.
Chewing hay or fresh grass is the only thing which keeps the molars in check. If something goes wrong with the molars, then you can see that effect in the incisors. The incisors are self sharpening and are kept in check by the correct action of the molars.
I think it would be helpful to us to be able to help you if we have a lot more information about the actual issue

Do you have any neighbours or friends who have fruit trees.
I give the odd Apple tree stick to my piggies as a treat but have never stripped the bark - often with mine it’s only the bark they chew on and then leave the rest.

I’m sorry I’m not sure about chewing on fruit branches. Have his back teeth been checked?

Yes back teeth have been checked by two different exotic vets. Top right front incisor was damaged and bottom teeth growing around and pointed as a result. Vet said top one will grow through eventually but will take time. Vet has said we should go back approx every 2 months for filing but suggested chewing on a log may help to delay this a bit.
It's not a new problem - they have been filed twice now so we know he is eating well and maintaining weight.
I can see if I can find someone with a fruit tree...I guess I was thinking if I can buy them from somewhere to make the process easier.

I get apple sticks from the store in the US and Small Pet Select has birch logs, they have a UK store now.

Reactions: cjr
Back