• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think my piggies' teeth are all fine and I check them regularly - but how long is too long? And also - despite reading Peter Gurney's advice, I'm still not sure about the back ones!

They have wood chews to gnaw on and plenty of hay. I read somewhere that it's ok to give them wood from fruit trees - is that true?

Thank you!

Sophie
x

There is no given correct length, the teeth must meet correctly. The top incisors will 'hang' a little over the bottom ones. If your guinea is eating OK and healthy then the teeth are OK.

Mine don't have wood chews/branches etc, just plenty of hay. They need to wear the teeth down and this is done by constant grazing on hay which promotes the correct side to side action for wear.

Have got any concerns/reason for concerns about teeth? All their mouths are different, if you can ever have the one to one dental lecture given by Vedra @ CCT I thoroughly recommend it, even if just for looking at your own pigs' teeth.

Oooh the lecture sounds good!

No real concerns, just wanted to know I was checking the right thing - which I wasn't, because I always look at them with their mouths open! I was mainly thinking of my piggy who can't seem to put any weight on - I'll have another look at her teeth tonight! The vet checked and said ok but I'm not sure how knowledgable they are with pigs.

Also noticed some semi-chewed small pieces of carrot in one of the hutches this morning and remember that being a sign of something wrong with teeth!

Thank you :)

Sophie
x

Some of my pigs chew off the outside of veggies (peeled or not) to get at the bit they like, this is only a sign if its a change in behaviour :) You're in Norfolk aren't you? Perhaps Cheryl at Sprowston wouldn't mind taking a look?

The dental lecture was my favourite and the most useful for me, the tuition is a seperate one to one session. Dental work is not for everyone- don't feel a failure if you don't feel at ease doing it :)

Oh no, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do it myself - but I'd like to be able to identify if anything was wrong! Thank you.

At least you don't have to brush their teeth like dogs - although my labrador loves it because the toothpaste is meaty-flavoured!

Thanks for your advice :) :)

we have never had a problem with our piggies and their teeth(touching wood) but the bunny who doesn't chew evenlly does get spurs, so she gets fed baby food till the spurs go away. as for the fruit trees to chew on was told by our vet apple tree branches. but if you are seeing a vet about your piggies teeth as k the vet and talk to them about your concerns. good luck. hugs and cuddles to you and your babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back