• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth

• Thread starter Thread starter LMT76
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LMT76

whats the best thing to keep the teeth of a guinea pug from getting too long,,

gnawing block?
wooden block?

anything else?

suggestions welcome

Hay!

Thats the most essential thing when it comes to teeth. They need it all the time. If they have a constant supply of hay, there shouldnt be a need for gnawing blocks and wooden toys.

I agree, the teeth are constantly growing, but guineas (pretty much constantly) munch on may! Keep an eye on the teeth, if you hear them grinding their teeth, its a good sign they need something else :) O0

They must have a constant supply of hay for a start. Hay is an absolute essential.

As for gnawing blocks mine never touch them. I have a wooden block in the cage which my Frank used to gnaw on from time to time but I've not seen Murran use it. It's in there though incase he ever wants to use it. :)

hay is a must, as others have said. i give my piggies these toys which have blocks of wood and blocks of mineral stuff all joined together with rope, which they say is special safe stuff. they use these, i've tried other things, like just plain mineral blocks and they sit and wee on them ::) , but they don't wee on these (too uncomfortable :o ) and also mine like just sticks of wood, which you can get from pampered piggies, this wears their teeth down. :)

Ahh yeah harry has one of those mineral things thats half destroyed ::) ;D And some dangley wooden thing he tried to catch suspended from the top of his cage...its like painted berries...does anyone know what i mean? :-\

do you mean the mineral block is like berries, cos if you do, i know what you mean, thats the sort of thing that mine would sit and wee on. ::) ;D

Nooo sorry I'm confusing myself ;D The mineral block is like a berry...but this other thing is wood, it hangs from the ceiling and its painted to look like berried :-\ ;D

Mine have a constant supply of hay but I believe that grass is also really good for their teeth...something to do with the way they chew it. I think wooden blocks and things wear down the front teeth but grass and hay are great for the back teeth. I get mine 3 different types of hay, meadow, oxbow timothy and oat hay. All are a bit different and make a change for them too!

As LavenderJade has said,hay and grass are the best for keeping the teeth filed down.I give my piggies dried grass because it is hard and chewy.They always have hay available,and fresh grass when the weather is good.

Hard veggies like carrot can also help as can the dry mix.

I do not like the use of mineral blocks,especially those which contain salt,as they are not good for piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back