• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth that drop out

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggybaker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi i rescued a guinea pig not long ago that the breeder was going to do a way with, she was very small and had bad teeth. But since having her she has lost her teeth on numerous occasions they grow to a certain length and then just drop out, I thought it was scurvy but when i took her to the vet he thought it may be a calcium deficiency,

has anyone every heard of this, it is a real labour of love because every time it happens i have to syringe feed her with mashed baby food only for about three days when the teeth become long enough to chomp again.

Help :-\

them

yep have heard of this and seems an ongoing battle, which you have mastered with the feeding of baby food! :)

I think they can have supplements/injections by the vet/rodentologist for this - I'm not 100 % on this :-\

But that ends up being so expensive :-\ they have really got you over a barrel the vets, I have looked in Peter Gurneys Piggie potions but he does not have any views on this, I did consider calcium tablets /suppliments but the vet poo pooed it, does anyone think this is a good idea,

I know cheese is off the menu but she does nibble at bread and milk.

Emma

I know it's expensive. I don't have any first-hand experience of it so can't advise - just know the top bit :)

I'm sure someone will be around that can help soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back