• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth/Mouth problem, plz can someone help us

• Thread starter Thread starter carrie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carrie

Hi
One of my boys has been to the vets as the dreaded stoped eatting happened and i tried to have a look in his mouth, but could only get so far as i don't have those buccla pads and to be honest not sure how to use them let alone cutting or filing teeth and down here in Cornwall the rodentologist is a quite far away, so we took him to the vets and we decided that if she didn't put him under for a closer look then we'd probably loose him, so we and the vet were really hoping that she's find something to cause him going off his food, but she said she had a really good look as she knew from previous time with a piggy where the problem was then, and so she had a good delve, but said his mouth was one of the healthest she's seen, she did however file a few teeth as she said he's got quite a narrow mouth and some might have just slightly overlapped, but he can munch his food now so hopefully that hasn't caused more probs.

If i can just tell you all the symptons, can anyone else plz shed any light of this, when he tries something like cucie even just very finely sliced he lifts his cheek(s) up noticed that it first started with the right hand side but now it seem to happen on both or one or the other, he lifts it up like when a dog snarls at you and you see his teeth, it looks like its geting caught on something but sure as hell don't know what?
I'm sure he'd eat ok even with getting use to eat with his back teeth feeling a bit weird with them having some work done on them, but its the whole lifting up the cheeks problem, oh and nearly forgot to mention that when that happens he will paw like make a cleaning motion at his cheeks.
I've given him some baktarin the oral gel but that doesn't help.
Now i'm due at the vets in the morning and she said about giving him some pain relief but i really don't think that will any difference as he's back to how he was before we took him the vets so the problem is still there and its so frustrating and makes me feel like poo as i'm so worried i'm gonna loose him to be honest i know these sort of probs if i'm honest don't have a happy ending and i know that sounds bad but i'm sort of at my witts end cause i feel useless and the vets are the same everywhere i go haven't really got a bloody clue even if they appear to be nice it doesn't help piggy and me.
Should i ask for a different antibioti other than baytril in case its an ulcer that can't be easily detected? i know Peter Gurnsey said something about Tribbrissen has anyone ever had this before?
plz if anyone can help, i really need it and quick,
Thanks
Carrie

One of my friends lost one of her boys that had a similar problem, and I'm so sorry to say, but it wasn't very long before he starved to death. If I was in your situation, I would be very scared and not have a clue what to do! From the sounds of thing's, it doesn't seem there is much to do... I suppose it's just one of those thing's, but hey, there still is hope! Give him my love, and let me know how it turns out.

deb xxoo

totally agree with Beaney its a major thing having teeth problems, some of mine needed an x ray to show the problem up, it was in the gum either as in lavender case the teeth were growing up into her head or like patch he had an arthritic jaw, it could be a root problem mine do do this occasionally as if something is stuck in their mouth, so maybe because he has a small narrow mouth its food getting stuck, to be really sure i would advise an x ray and quick as they can go down hill so quick,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back