• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth Clipping

• Thread starter Thread starter Dic a Dom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dic a Dom

We have rescued a boar from our local RSPCA which has only one upper tooth. The tooth is not overgrown as we supply lots of thing for him to gnaw on but if it does start to affect him the RSPCA has told us to take him to the vet. The thing is all the vets around ours have a policy of anaesthetising them and then clip the tooth. I know the dangers involved in anaethetising them and really don't want to do this. Has anyone or do anyone clip the teeth themselves? How easy is it and would you recommend it?

Never do it yourself.

If it is one tooth broken then don't, under any circumstances, be tempted to get the other one clipped unless it seriously starts to overgrow. If it's the case that it will only ever have one upper tooth the same applies but keep a closer eye. This is something you need to get a cavy-savvy vet to do. There is NO way a pig should need to be anaesthetised to clip an incisor as it literally takes seconds.

He'll have one incissor for the rest of his life but this does not detter him in the slightest. The only thing is we are based in North Wales and really do not have access to a rodedentologist. Most vets around here deal with dogs, cats,sheep, cows and horses. I have even had one comment "what's the matter with the cat" although I had two guinea pigs peeping through the carrier! There just so unbelievable :tickedoff:
Does anyone know of a good rodentologist near to us. We really don't mind travelling if it means that our guineas get the best care :smitten:

i had to have Honkeys front incisor trimmed and it cost me £9.91p very cheap and very quick.

There was someone in Wales- once but I don't know how good they were etc. I have a sow with only one Incisor and she's worn an inverted v in her bottom Incisors, they can manage fine. Just make sure the bottom ones don't grow up into the roof of the mouth but this is unlikely, thetop one should wear the bottom ones down :) Ursula has never had her Incisor filed/trimmed since the other was removed and she is fine, she can pick up food and eat like the others. Often the one tooth moves over into the middle of the mouth.

I think Reading is probably your nearest vet/rodentologist that I can recommend.
As DSL says don't do this yourself :)

I would leave this alone.Only if the inscissors start to get too long would you need to consider clipping.

One of my sows,Poppy has twisted inscissors,the top 2 twist to the left and the bottom 2 to the right.She can pick up and eat the food fine.

Someone I know,a few years back,had a piggy born with no inscissors, it managed very well.

Only very complicated dental work needs aneasthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back