Teeth chattering: good or bad

• Thread starter Thread starter CloMajScoot
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CloMajScoot

my guinea pigs both chatter their teeth at me when i pick them up for a cuddle, is this a bad chater or a good chatter? i mean they dont bite me or anything but they both make a sound like grinding teeth !

any clue?

Hiya,

Teeth chattering is a sign of aggression or not being happy. Most pigs don't like getting picked up but once they are picked up they are usually ok.

Louise
:)

A bad thing.
Do they keep chattering at you once you have picked them up or only when you are first getting hold of them? Are they new to you?
One of mine doesn’t like being picked up but he’s never chattered at me, I just grab him quickly to try and cause him less stress, once I have him he settles down.

Teeth chattering is very bad....its angry and they do it to warn you...

Are you sure its not a purr? :-\

I am sure its not purring. because i picked one up today and she was fine for a while like chirping and everything and then she crawled up to where my neck is (she likes going there because its warm by my neck) and started to teeth chatter ! i was like ?

My girls have never done it, but one of my boys used to when i first got him and Lula my yorkie used to go near him.

Its kinda a go away and leave me alone thing! lol I Spose its like when a dog growls, its a warning! lol

I think teeth chatter is good. I've had my piggy for almost 3 weeks and I notice that he does the teeth chattering when he is content. If he wants to run around or be left alone he lets me know by scampering off or struggling out of my hands. I'm no expert, of course, since he is my first piggy and I've only had him 3 weeks, but I think it really depends on the guinea. Lucky usually does the teeth chatter when he's sitting on my chest right before he drops off to sleep. Take notice of when your piggy chatters his teeth and then you'll be able to tell if it is good or bad. It took me a while to figure it out too and I'm still figuring out a lot of his noises.

Teeth chattering is a warning 100%

I think maybe you are confusing it with another noise :)

If it is a really loud clacking it is definately a warning. If it is a gentle noise, like a soft version, my boys sometimes do this when they know their wet food is on the way, I suppose its like anticipation (or possibly inpatience! ;D )

It means aggresion or sadness.

If you stoke it near its back end or stoke the fur the wrong way, Thats my hes doing it!

Hope i helped! :smitten:

See if i stroke mine near their 'rump' they purr, they dont chatter. These Guineas i have now havent Chattered,yet!. It was my old Boy Georgie thta used to do it.

PerfectPiggies said:
Teeth chattering is very bad....its angry and they do it to warn you...

Are you sure its not a purr? :-\
Mine do it to warn other male piggys ;D Not me !

Are you sure it's actual chatering? The real thing is pretty loud & scary. If it's kinda soft then it's like excitement. Or happiness? Dunno...

mine chatters when he is in his cage it is a soft sound not loud at all and no its not purring trust me. i am still not positive what he;s trying to say when he does that maybe he does that when he;s hungry. i dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back