Teeth chattering at me

• Thread starter Thread starter charcoalfeathers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charcoalfeathers

Hi there :)

I have two boars which are about 10 months old and I've had them for about 7 months. They do sometimes fight, probably teeth chattering at each other every day. Whenever I feed them, they seem very happy to warm to me, but if I need to handle them, particularly when I have to clean their cage, they are impossible to catch and teeth chatter at me whenever I go near them. I've resorted to letting them walk into large cardboard tubes and lifting them out as this doesn't seem to stress them out too much, but I don't know what I should do to make them easier to handle. Should I try to pick them up even though they are teeth chattering at me? On the rare occasions I have managed to pick them up, I try to give them a treat like a bit of apple for them to eat, (so they associate getting picked up with treats) but they simply don't eat it out of my hands.

I have noticed recently that they have been fighting a bit more, even when I let them out on neutral ground they've lunged at each other a couple of times. Should I consider seperating them? And could this be a possible reason why they may also not be warming to me, as they're stressed with each other? I have seperated them in the past, and one seems happy by itself but the other will squeek continuously. But when i reintroduce them together, they start to teeth chatter at each other again!

I'd be grateful for any help or advice as I really don't know what to do! :-\

Hi there and welcome from OZ :)
Well you do sound like a lovely piggie mummy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
awww don't worry that's just them talking to you and giving you their opinion and errr piggies like to have the last word ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
I'd be a little careful with the two together, keep them together if you can cause they do normally like companionship but if not can they be housed right beside each other cause that will help a little. I'm sure you'll get some great advice from the other lovely people on here O0
Looking forward to seeing piccies of your babies :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: and maybe you too O0

Hi, welcome to the forum!

My to boys are much like yours. My little heist is around the same age as yours and he has started to lung at my other guinea pig spaz and is always chattering his teeth. when I try to stop heist from lunging, he sometimes chatters his teeth to me. It's mostly because he has not totally warmed up to me. It has taken him longer to be totally comfortable with me than spaz did. I believe that in time heist will stop being a bully to spaz and be more comfortable around me. I think in time, everything will work itself out between your guinea pigs and you too. Just keep an eye on your two guinea pigs to make sure they don't get in to a big fight and get hurt.
Good luck O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back