• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I noticed with one of my newly adopted boys just after we got him, that one of his bottom incisors was quite a bit shorter than the other one. I have kept a close eye and he was eating fine etc. It has now grown back and is the same size as the other tooth, but compared to my other piggies, they seem very long. It is not affecting his eating at all. Question:do I leave them as they are to wear down naturally or does he need a toothy trim?
Below is a photo of Elmo`s teeth compared with Teddy`s teeth which are much shorter.

Elmo`s
dressandpiggies023.jpg

Teddy`s
dressandpiggies025.jpg

Length doesn't have a lot to do with it :) Its more how they are positioned in relation to each other. The top ones should just come over the bottoom ones when the mouth is closed. Make sure they wear against each other and just look out for the bottom ones curling back into the mouth.

I have one sow here with 3 Incisors and she has worn a perfect V into her bottom Incisors with the one top one. As long as he's able to eat and the teeth are wearing I wouldn't worry :)

Ok Karen, thats great thank you. I dont know about toothies so thought it better to ask :) He loves his food so I am sure he will be fine. I do like to keep a proper eye on them though!

Teeth and mouths come in all shapes and sizes, you just can't compare one to another. A friend has a pig with 3 Incisors who does not have the 'perfect V' shape, they are perfectly worn, because he has a different jaw action to my girl! Both are fine though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back