Teddy Breed Dry Skin Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germaine

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, i have two teddy guinea pigs and i heard they are prone to dry skin. One is fine, the other has very dry skin/dandruff. They have been treated for mites and there is no signs of fungal infection/scratching but when brushing her I noticed small flakes on the brush. Can anyone advise me on how to remedy this?

I am in the same position at the moment with my 5 year old Nia; her hair loss problems seem to be neither mites or fungal (has been treated for both, in case it was broken back syndrome/candida). Her sister Nerys' problems have stopped for the time being after I moved her out of the big group.

Look for a moisturising shampoo or ask your vet what they would recommend; gorgeous guineas is also pretty knowledgeable. Often, it will disappear all by itself after driving you mad for a good while!

Maple has dry skin and has been treated for dermatitis even had to go on Baytril (sp) for a week because she'd scratched her rump up and was all open and sore. She was on medicated shampoo from the vet.

Now I use the lavender shampoo from gorgeous guineas and her chest has finally healed!

Gorgeous Guineas stuff is brilliant :D

I see there are melts on their shop. What are these? I will have to buy something for her. The hair is fine and doesnt seem to bother her much but I wouldn't want it to get dry and sore and crack.

My boy has pretty dry skin too at this time of year. I'm sure its because of the central heating as their skin is sensitive.

Great advice! Thank you. I will send an email off to gorgeous guineas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back