• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teddie has a cloudy eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol C

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just found Teddie tonight with a cloudy right eye. Have clean it with cool boiled water and had a good look ,but unable to see what is wroung.Still very normal in himself and eating well.
Any addvice please.
Carol C

he has probably scratched it, the eye goes cloudy to protect the eye itself, I normally have cream from the vets but apparently optrex is ok for pigs eyes, hope some one will confirm this for me, as long as you have checked its clean now and no hay etc is int he eye itself, keep bathing it so any yuk comes away

we had Sherbert with a bad eye like that and bathed it in diluted salt water,it cleared up real quick

If you can, check there's no hay seeds or something similiar in his eye. If it's no worse today, he could have poked it or perhaps scratched it. Cold black tea is good, as is brolene from the chemists.

Hope Teddie feels better soon!

I've used Optrex on my pigs on several occasions & the CCT advises using it too. Get a dropper & drop it directly into their eye - if they close it put a drop onto the closed eye, when they open it the liquid goes straight in. As Becks has said have a good look that there isn't anything in there. One of my pigs recently had a huge grass seed in theirs which I managed to get out by cutting one of my finger nails off & using my finger to wipe it out. (bet you thought I was gonna say I used the cut nail!). I don't use cotton buds as they can leave behind fibres.

Some people suggest diluting the Optrex with water - I usually do this if I'm just washing the eye out. Hope this helps H78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back