Tap Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wa just wondering if it's okay to fill up my piggies' water bottle with tap water? I don't want to make any mistakes when I get them. Please tell me if it is okay, thanks!​

I use filtered water as the water in my area is hard and whatnot and tastes funny to me so.... I do know others that use tap water with no problems but I am not sure if I am completely honest. Others in the know will def be able to tell us for sure :)

Vancouver is considered to have the best tap water in the world (next to Scotland of course) so I'm sure it will be fine. If you drink it I'm sure they will too x

Vancouver is considered to have the best tap water in the world (next to Scotland of course) so I'm sure it will be fine. If you drink it I'm sure they will too x
I can vouch for that after living in Canada for a while. Water tasted amazing compared to the Uk where I live

Yup, I drink the tap water and have always given it to my pets without any problems. But then I am in Scotland! I guess it depends on the water where you are.

I also use tap water, but I live in the lake district where I'm spoilt for water quality. ;)

Exactly... LD and Scot.... fresh rolling hills and mountains. ..I have...smelly river nene and London smog an hour away :/

I've always used tap water for me & my pets here in OZ, New Zealand, Canada, the Caribbean & some states in the USA, all places I've lived in.

In the USA though ( sorry to those Americans who live there) the tap water in Akron, Ohio and St Augustine, Florida tasted awful. I didn't drink it & would never have given it to any pets - fortunately I didn't have pets at the time.

Tap water that is fine for human consumption is perfectly fine for piggies, too!

If you live in a hard water area and/or you are dealing with a bladder stone piggy, I'd recommend filtering, as it can make a difference re. the build-up and re-occurrence of bladder problems.

I've been using volvic as its low calcium but just using tap water to top up about the last quarter of their bottles in case there are some minerals they need in tap water thats not in the volvic. Our water is extremely hard in this area (norfolk) which surprises me as I was brought up in London and I thought the water in the country was softer.

I've been using volvic as its low calcium but just using tap water to top up about the last quarter of their bottles in case there are some minerals they need in tap water thats not in the volvic. Our water is extremely hard in this area (norfolk) which surprises me as I was brought up in London and I thought the water in the country was softer.
It tends to be further down south in my experience. Cornwall/Devon I have no problems with my skin. When I have been on vacation further north I tend to suffer with very dry skin. I started filtering our boys water after reading that @helen105281 did and the same reasons why that @Wiebke states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back