Taming New Piggies, Next Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylElla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So we got our boys on Friday and left them alone for 24 hours to settle. Since turn I've been sitting by their hutch talking to them 2-4 times a day for 15-45 mins. They'll come out for their veg in the morning and this morning sat out by the bowls eating instead of taking the veg then hiding.

Where do I go next? Continue sitting and talking to them? They still run when I move, Ernie will run and hide, Hugo will dart but then kind of linger a bit and not hide completely all the time. When should I try hand feeding them? I need to clean their hutch on Saturday and am worried they won't be ready to be taken out of the hutch into the run.

So we got our boys on Friday and left them alone for 24 hours to settle. Since turn I've been sitting by their hutch talking to them 2-4 times a day for 15-45 mins. They'll come out for their veg in the morning and this morning sat out by the bowls eating instead of taking the veg then hiding.

Where do I go next? Continue sitting and talking to them? They still run when I move, Ernie will run and hide, Hugo will dart but then kind of linger a bit and not hide completely all the time. When should I try hand feeding them? I need to clean their hutch on Saturday and am worried they won't be ready to be taken out of the hutch into the run.

Start luring them with their favourite veg, but be patient. praise them whenever they pick it up.

Depending on how skittish they still are, put them in a large cardboard box or your laundry basket with some newspaper, hay and a blanket on top to feel safe. I would also recommend to wait with introducing the run until they are confident with their hutch. Again, cover it up and sprinkle cardboard boxes, tunnels etc around for them to have safe bases from which to explore. Be not surprised if for the first few times nothing much happens apart you chatting to them to give them reassurance.

Start luring them with their favourite veg, but be patient. praise them whenever they pick it up.

Depending on how skittish they still are, put them in a large cardboard box or your laundry basket with some newspaper, hay and a blanket on top to feel safe. I would also recommend to wait with introducing the run until they are confident with their hutch. Again, cover it up and sprinkle cardboard boxes, tunnels etc around for them to have safe bases from which to explore. Be not surprised if for the first few times nothing much happens apart you chatting to them to give them reassurance.

I've got fleecy snuggle sacks I was going to try and herd them into to get them out of the hutch. I'll see if I've got a cardboard box I could use.

So hold some veg through the hutch wire and see if they'll come for it? They are still pretty skittish at the moment.

I've got fleecy snuggle sacks I was going to try and herd them into to get them out of the hutch. I'll see if I've got a cardboard box I could use.

So hold some veg through the hutch wire and see if they'll come for it? They are still pretty skittish at the moment.

You can start by holding the veg closer to their hidey and then laying it on the floor not to far from them, but try to keep the hand in the hutch and only remove it if they are not coming out at all. That way, they learn to associate you and your hands with good things.

Also make friends with them by mimicking piggy washed at their eye level. That tells them that you have friendly intentions and will hopefully help to relax them. it is is still VERY early days yet, so be patient! Trust takes time to build up.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

It's taken mine about 3 weeks to come take food fairly confidently fromy hands. The one was coming (very nervously) after about 2 weeks.
I also find the less often I take them out for lap time the more comfortable they are withy hand in the cahe, so I think late stresses them a bit. The more confident one is getting better with lap time but I'm thinking of not doing it with the more nervous one for a week or two as it really seems to stress her out.
So don't feel you have to rush into lap time amd stroking, I'm finding just putting my hands in for cleaning amd feeding etc is working better at taming than actual lap time and stroking. It seems the thing everyone says of taking it slow amd not rushing them is actually true LoL

Try put your hand in with big leafy things and hold still for a few min. If neither comes out then place it down and remove your hand. Also try dangling some long leafy bits through the bars.

:agr:

My piggies aren't really 'cuddle' piggies although it's nice to have the odd stroke here and there :D but that's usually when I'm brushing them or trimming their nails I sneak a cheeky stroke in :D I do have lap time with the two babies but they seem quite confident and don't mind it too much but the rest of them I prefer to interact with them in their runs etc with their feet firmly on the floor. I find they are so much more confident with you than what they are restricted on your lap, and quite comical too :D I've had Ted & chewy for 4 months now and they came to me extremely timid it has taken me this long to get them to the confidence levels they are at, they have no qualms letting me in their run and having a play and don't run away when I approach or even drop or bang something, it is strange but it's been a very rewarding process watching there personalities grow each day. It will be a long process and time and patience is key but well worth it :D

Hugo has let me hand feed him twice now taking 2-3 bits of veg each time. I put my hand in the hutch yesterday to get the bowl and he sat quite happily. He's definitely getting there. Ernie isn't hand feeding but isn't as skittish.

Hi DylElla.
I've just got new Guinea's too, yesterday morning.
It's hard isn't it, cos you don't want to scare them.
So you don't put the new guinea's in the outdoor run or indoor playpen until they are comfortable in their hutch? (Mine are outdoors in warmer months)
Also, should you have small lap times after a couple of days (5 minutes) to start the bonding/taming process? Or should you wait longer? I'm happy to be patient, I just feel bad never letting them out the hutch.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
My guinea's are Pip and Tulip 9 weeks old.
Steph

It's taken mine about 3 weeks to come take food fairly confidently fromy hands. The one was coming (very nervously) after about 2 weeks.
I also find the less often I take them out for lap time the more comfortable they are withy hand in the cahe, so I think late stresses them a bit. The more confident one is getting better with lap time but I'm thinking of not doing it with the more nervous one for a week or two as it really seems to stress her out.
So don't feel you have to rush into lap time amd stroking, I'm finding just putting my hands in for cleaning amd feeding etc is working better at taming than actual lap time and stroking. It seems the thing everyone says of taking it slow amd not rushing them is actually true LoL

Try put your hand in with big leafy things and hold still for a few min. If neither comes out then place it down and remove your hand. Also try dangling some long leafy bits through the bars.
This is really helpful advice for me to use as we've only had our babies for 5 days and been too keen to stroke and pick up. I've managed to get them but one really doesn't like it and will try to bite. I've had to do it anyway to change their fleece bedding as it became pretty smelly and to get them to the vet for lice treament but I wish I'd taken youe advice from the start. I'm going to try your method for the next few days as the bedding won't need changing again yet. We have sat in the pen next to the open cage and let them come to us. They do but one slight movement of my hand and they jump away. The one is so nosey but is also the one that panics the most and will jump from the cage to me in the pen, run around and jump back again. So no lap time for a while and we will see how it goes.

Mine is very into his veggies! I think all of them are so every lap time he gets he is fed from the hand I guess it creates an association between lap time & food.
Sheldon has been with me for 2 weeks now, and he happens to love being petted, He knows that he is going to be picked up at a certain hour to get to his floor time & veggies, he still isn't happy being picked up but once in my hands he's okay & even eats from my hand. it's the same for lap time, once he is on my lap he gets to eat so he's happy & sits rather still.

My girls have been coming to see me more just the last couple of days. When I picked them up for lap time they like to climb up my chest toy shoulder and snuggle there. Still got a long way to go with getting them to trust me enough that I don't have to spend ages trying to pick them up but it's getting easier i think.

I've got 8 piggies, 5 will leg it when I get them for lap time once they are up my lap, they snuggle if for lap time, 3 of them love a tickle when they come up to the cage bars. The 5 that run ive had for a year, so I haven't a clue why they do that.
:lol!:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back