Taming my girls (10mo)

florna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I got my girls on 29th January and I'm practicing the below taming exercises suggested by Saskia at the LA GP Rescue. I'm eager to get them used to being handled as their are both long-haired, so I need to groom them weekly, and one is underweight, so I need to weigh her regularly. I realise, however, according to some sources, this is too soon to be handling them at all, but I hope you understand my reasoning. It also makes a lot of sense what Saskia says, that getting them used to my hands and being handled is better for them in the long term as they learn that I'm safe and won't (hopefully) have to live in such fear. Here's the links:

I've been doing this since Friday with mixed results. They seem to have stopped struggling when I go to put them back in the cage, so I can let go immediately as they are calm, but catching them is still traumatic, though I speak to them lovingly as I always do and try to move slowly as is feasible as they are SO fast. They teeth-chatter at me a ton which is awful to hear as I don't want them to be stressed. They're not generally very vocal girls (no idea what they were like at their last home at the rescue) but they seem to flip back and forth between teeth-chattering and contented chutting when I have them up on my shoulder, snuggling them gently and feeding them veggies - which is confusing! They don't seem to like ANY touching that apparently "all" guinea pigs like e.g. chin and head scratches, though they will allow me to gently stroke and scratch their upper body (I stay away from the bum apart from to hold them securely!). Often, when I'm touching them they will ruffle their fur too, which seems to signal "get off", so I do. I just have no idea how to make them happy. They hide / rest a lot in their hideys when I'm around and I'm worried they're afraid of coming out when I'm here.

Can anyone please advise? I want to learn how to make them happy! I want to hear happy sounds and see some happy jumping so I know they're okay. I only seem to be getting overt negative signals at the moment. :(

Just take things one day at a time and at their pace but it sounds like you’re doing great so far.

My piggies are 17 months, nearly 3, nearly 4 and 6 and they still hate being picked up and much prefer to sit next to me on a fleece blanket on the settee rather than being cuddled.

You may find the following links useful

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Hi!

Personally, I prefer 'to win the trust' of my piggies by using whispering techniques, which are also very effective as they use key social guinea pig behaviours for communicating important social concepts like a friendly invitation to join the herd you are leading (piggy washes and gentle ear fondling) and reassurance that they are loved and cherished (stroking around the eyes) in combination of avoiding triggering the prey animal instincts as much as possible. This put the emphasis very much on approaching the befriending process from the perspective of guinea pigs and allowing them to give freely.

'Taming' approaches the process very much from a human-centric perspective and demanding cooperation - not just in the wording but also in the deed. It is effective in its own way but it sends a very different message to your guinea pigs. Saskia's approach works by getting the piggy to accept handling by tackling the prey animal instinct head-on but very much from a position of superior physical strength. The mixed results come when a piggy is unable to work past their prey animal instincts because being held down like that is rather like their worst fears come true. Not all piggies will eventually relax (or take a lot more time, as I hae discovered when I tried it myself).

As much as I appreciate Saskia as a person and her great drive (we are in regular professional contact), this is one of the areas where I prefer to disagree with her - but then my own interest very much lies with guinea pig species behaviours and the their complex interaction, both amongst each other and between humans and cavies. I think more about how things look from the guinea pig perspective and prefer to communicate in their language and within their own social concepts by copying how some of my socially most adept piggies have been dealing with their mates instead of waiting for them to figure out humans.

Have a look at our own information on prey animal instincts, hands-off pick-ups and whispering techniques. They may not be quite as much of a quick fix but since they respect the piggy as their own autonomous personality and also respect their need for a social identity in their new home, you will get there. Just be patient and persist - and relish the very, very special moment when you realise that your skittish piggy is trusting you implicitly.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely
New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner

Which approach you ultimately prefer is up to you but it is not because we are unaware of Saskia's own technique; we just prefer our own more gentle approach.

Thank you both for your comments :)
Wiebke, that's a really interesting perspective and one I haven't heard before. I'll read the material both of you suggested.

Thank you both for your comments :)
Wiebke, that's a really interesting perspective and one I haven't heard before. I'll read the material both of you suggested.

I know I am rather out there with it and have got my fair share of ridicule but as forum members can perhaps corroborate, the approach does actually work because I am copying behaviours that guinea pigs use amongst themselves.

We have far too long just seen animals as an extension of our own human needs and desires but never considered how we come across to them based on the Bible based command and Christian ethic to make the world ours.
Respect for people or societies who are different should also extend to animals. When you think about it, it actually not quite surprising that we may get further more quickly if we meet our new piggies on their own ground instead of waiting for them to figure out us... Like any living being, they deserve basic respect; and they are totally fascinating once you enter their own world!

There is virtually nothing out there in terms of research when it comes to society and social interactive behaviours in guinea pigs, so I am very much pushing the boat out in the articles I write for Guinea Pig Magazine (in which Saskia also has a regular column).
In 2020 I have looked at a guinea pig life from birth until death through its different development stages.
With the magazine's permission I have shared it on this forum in this link here: Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

Currently I am exploring social identity and the multi-levelled society with a practical tie-in to how behaviours we see in our pets fit into it. The current series is called The Herd, the Group and I (starting with issue 63).
That series you can only get via subscription to Guinea Pig Magazine, either in print or as a cheaper download worldwide. Here is the link: Home
Apart from Saskia's and my column, we always have an interesting medical article, a Q&A section, social media star piggies, a very funny stand-up comedian with a guinea pig angle, a rescue story, owners letters and an owner pigs gallery in the centrefold etc... and an interview with the owner of the title picture guinea pig (which could be you).

You can also find a lot more practical and interesting information in our pretty extensive forum resource - a link, which you may want to bookmark, browse, read and re-read at need. We do link in more in-depth information guides for further information and practical how-to tips that wouldn't fit into just a post. This also allows us to answer threads since we are all doing this for free in our own free time.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Wishing you all the best with your girls! Be patient and persist.

Back