Tameside Rabbit And Guinea Pig Rescue ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire74

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone had experience with this rescue centre? It is close to me and they have piggies available, but it's not on your locator list (unless I'm doing it wrong!). Anything in particular I should be looking for in a rescue centre?
Thanks in advance, Claire

I adopted a rabbit from them a few years ago. She was neutered, microchipped and vaccinated and they helped introduce her to my neutered male bun at the time. Actually planning on heading there to adopt some guinea pigs this weekend too, so would be keen to hear other peoples experiences. Seemed knowledgeable when I adopted a bun though :)

Tameside has been started recently by a forum member; it is definitely safe to rehome from! It is currently on our watch list. [Sorry have to retract that due to mistaking Tameside for another rescue.]

What you should look out in a good rescue:
- mandatory quarantine for all incoming guinea pigs and appropriate vet treatment. Any guinea pig that is put up for adoption should be totally cured/healthy and be signed off by a vet if it needed any treatment.
- mandatory 10 weeks pregnancy watch for all incoming sows unless the rescue can vouch for a boar-free background through personal knowledge and not just the word of the previous owner.
- rescue born babies should should be 6-8 weeks old, so they are sturdy enough to cope with the stress of moving to a new home and environment. Any baby boars should have been separated at 3 weeks old.
- any neutered boars should have had a 6 weeks post-op wait before they are allowed with sows.
- any already bonded pairs should be carefully personality matched and stable and the rescue should be able to tell you about their background, behaviour and quirks.
- the hutches or cages should be a decent size with plenty of hay and clean water. They should also have winter protection.

What you don't want to see in a rescue:
- itching guinea pigs with bald patches that are explained away as "dry skin" or a "seasonal" issue - it is always untreated or undertreated ringworm or mange mites (or both). A good way is to ask what they use for mange mites treatment. It should be either vet treatment or xeno/high dosed ivermectin, not a cheap shop product which only makes things worse.
- green or empty water bottles, dirty bedding, no or soiled hay, filthy pellet bowls, rackety breeder boxes and insufficient protection.
- no or not sufficient gender separation.

I was going to say, I think Tameside rabbit and guinea pig rescue has been going for some time. It would have been 2012 I think when I adopted a rabbit from them. I believe the person who runs it posts on the rabbits united/rabbit rehome forum :)

I don't know this one @Wiebke, Mine is Tees Valley Guinea Pig Rescue :) x

Oh, sorry! I should get my geography right!

No, I haven't had Tameside recommended by anyone, and I would normally heard of them if they were a good rescue, especially as they seem to have been going for a few years. Otherwise, we would have investigated at some point.

Hi and :wel:!
Here is thier website : http://www.tamesiderabbitandguineapigrescue.info/index.html

I don't really like them as in the pics on thier website :
- The piggies and rabbits look dirty
- Some of the cages have a wire bottom which can hurt piggies feet
- The cages are soiled and have sawdust / woodshavings or dirty newspaper as bedding.
- A rabbit looks like it's living in a small ferplast cage
- All the cages seem tiny

Please remember this is just my opinion but I wouldn't go to that rescue I'd go to the RSPCA or another recommended rescue. :tu:

You could have a look at the rescue like @PiggyOwner has said.

I hope this helps and good luck finding piggies! :)

I assumed the photos showing animals on wire bottomed cages were just of them in temporary carriers. From what I remember all the animals were in hutches in an outbuilding, but this was a few years back!

Thank you everyone. I'm sure they are lovely there, but it's great to know what to look out for as well.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure they are lovely there, but it's great to know what to look out for as well.

Please see my message that I have mixed up two rescues (sorry, it was pretty hectic this morning after a weekend away). I am not at all sure whether this is a good rescue.

I adopted two lovely boars from there a few weeks ago and they were in great condition despite the small cages, ect. The woman gave me some great advice and obviously knew a lot about guinea pigs. I would definitely recommend them :D

Treacle and Toffee are right up my street, I love Chocolate Fox piggies :D Just a shame I have no room.

I got my Daisy from Tameside rabbit and guinea pig rescue :D. Elaine who runs it is very knowledgeable and has been caring for guinea pigs all of her life. She has a lot of guinea pigs there for adoption and they do all live in hutches or indoor cages in a shed at the bottom of her garden. They all seemed to be very well cared for when I was there even though the hutches were fairly small. But there was so many animals as people just keep dumping them at her door and she does not like to turn animals away. She also advises bringing existing guinea pigs along to see who they get along with, we put mine into a playpen in the garden when they were introduced. If you ring her she will give you a lot more information and is really friendly. She also has a lot more piggies than what is on the website, so it is best to go take a look.
@Drezella Got Paddy and Rohan from there so I am sure she can give her views as well.
Personally I would adopt from there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back