Taking things out of cage for settling in boys

El Caso

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my boys have been with me since Saturday.
They're a dad and son duo (dad is 2 years and son is 3 months tomorrow)

They're in a ferplast 160 (i will be getting the extension which will make it 200cm long very soon).

I had a ferplast maxi rabbit hideaway (attached pic) in there which I just took out because it only has one entrance/exit and as boys are more likely to be territorial thought it would be best to remove it at least for now. What made me thought of removing it is that I saw them circling each other briefly and know that they're probably re-establishing a hierachy while settling in so didnt want to potentially cause upset between them considering there's only one in there (it takes up a lot of space as I said and couldnt put 2 of them in for that reason)

My question is, was that a good call?

In it's place (because it quite literally took up A LOT of room) i've put 2 oval beds (https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-small-animal-spotty-oval-bed).
They also have 2 large bendy tunnel bridges that they hide and can run through and foraging scattered along with a few things to chew on (just plain willow sticks/wood).

Attachments

• 7122728PL.webp
    7122728PL.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 1
Yes it was a good call to remove it. They really do need hides with two exits and the bendy bridges work well.

When you come to cleaning them out, you can clean out half the cage so it still smells familiar. You are likely to see dominance behaviour as they settle in.

Just to add that the oval beds look nice, but generally guinea pigs prefer somewhere a bit more enclosed to sleep, particularly when they are new and settling in.
Would it be possible to hang some fleece strips at one end of the cage (like a curtain) and put the beds under there, so they feel a bit more enclosed?

But it was a good call to remove the large wooden house.

I do something like @Swissgreys mentions with covering over "open" beds - I have two Snugglesafes that fit in the base of their cuddlecups. The cups aren't in this photo but the triangle covering is fastened to the cage walls, and then the dangly bits of fleece make for another "wall". They're much happier to sit on the cups this way.

Just to add that the oval beds look nice, but generally guinea pigs prefer somewhere a bit more enclosed to sleep, particularly when they are new and settling in.
Would it be possible to hang some fleece strips at one end of the cage (like a curtain) and put the beds under there, so they feel a bit more enclosed?

But it was a good call to remove the large wooden house.

They are actively using them but obviously mostly run underneath their bridges once they get scared which is understandable. I have to clean them every other day cus they decide to pee on them😂 I’ve seen the fleece corner curtains on Amazon I’ll grab them when I next order.

Any other products preferably on Amazon that you recommend me grabbing that aren’t too big and will make them comfortable?

They are actively using them but obviously mostly run underneath their bridges once they get scared which is understandable. I have to clean them every other day cus they decide to pee on them😂 I’ve seen the fleece corner curtains on Amazon I’ll grab them when I next order.

Any other products preferably on Amazon that you recommend me grabbing that aren’t too big and will make them comfortable?
I don't know how much fleece corners cost on Amazon, but honestly I would just buy a cheap fleece blanket from somewhere and cut it up yourself.
No sewing required as fleece doesn't fray.
You would probably easily get at least 8 fleece corners out of a regular blanket too.

I also used to make fleece forests for mine to run through - just cut a bunch of long fleece strips and hang them over the bars so they almost touch the floor of the cage. Hold in place with a clothes peg if needed.

Back