Taking Piggy Abroad- I Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie&Edward

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

So we are going to Poland this Christmas (travelling by car) , and I was wondering whether I would be allowed to take my guinea pig with me? His name is Ernie and he is about 5 months old, he had been quite poorly recently, but he is getting a lot healthier now, after lots of visits to the vet and ending up paying a total of about 120 pounds.. as he has been really quite ill iwanted to take him with me.. Any advice?

Hi there!
I bet your piggies are so happy to have a caring owner. :)

It really depends on the condition of the guinea pig, the distance, and the responsibility.

If Ernie isn't sick, it's okay to take him! Just make sure that no more health problems arise before you begin traveling. Has Ernie ever taken a car ride before? I bet he has since you said he went to the vet quite a bit of times. Make sure Ernie isn't nauseous.

However long the distance is, try to make it under 2 hours. If you can't, your going to need to take rest stops to tidy his cage a bit. You are also going to need to provide food, water, and hay. So over all, it is best to take trips under 2 hours, but over is alright as long as you care for him along the way.

Taking a guinea pig on rides is a big responsibility. What if Ernie vomits? What if he makes a water mess? What if he decides to flip his pellet bowl or spread his hay? It really matters if you want to clean up after him or not.

Also, I insist you are staying there for a week or so, so you are going to need his food and supplies! Maybe you can bring some veggies in a cooler too, guinea pigs love cold veggies. :)

Have a good trip in Poland!

Best wishes to you and your piggies,
~Savvy Cavy :cool:

Last edited:
Piggies do travel well - just make sure there is plenty of hay for Ernie and keep a little supply of watery food like cucumber to give him every so often. A cardboard box or carrier is fine (although something that doesn't have a clear or see-through top is best to help make him feel secure.

Guinea pigs are not physically capable of being sick :-)

Mine have just travelled (For the first time) with us for about 6 hours and we had no problems at all and they even seemed to settle quickly and well when we got to the other end. I will be doing a longer journey when we move at the end of April beginning of May time.

I would advise the link above. All countries have different restrictions on pets. For example in Australia you cannot inport rabbits. Make sure you check out all the legalities before you make your trip and if need be ring the Polish customs (no idea what they'd be called sorry)

x

I would advise the link above. All countries have different restrictions on pets. For example in Australia you cannot inport rabbits. Make sure you check out all the legalities before you make your trip and if need be ring the Polish customs (no idea what they'd be called sorry)

x
Mine have just travelled (For the first time) with us for about 6 hours and we had no problems at all and they even seemed to settle quickly and well when we got to the other end. I will be doing a longer journey when we move at the end of April beginning of May time.
Piggies do travel well - just make sure there is plenty of hay for Ernie and keep a little supply of watery food like cucumber to give him every so often. A cardboard box or carrier is fine (although something that doesn't have a clear or see-through top is best to help make him feel secure.

Guinea pigs are not physically capable of being sick :-)

Thank you for your advice! I took Ernie with me in a dog bag kind of thing- it wasn't really a bag since it had stable walls and top, it was more of a box, but it had material sawn over. Ernie didn't have any problems at all, he seemed to have settled in very well, he had plenty of hay, pellets and some cabbage, blue berries ( he loves them! ) and red pepper. And I gave him a fleece as bedding and a part of a small towel for him to hide under if he got cold!

Great news! :) I hope you and Ernie had a lovely Christmas.

It was great thank you :) It always goes so quickly though, doesn't it? I don't think I want to see turkey again for as long as I live (well, for another year maybe) :))

It was great thank you :) It always goes so quickly though, doesn't it? I don't think I want to see turkey again for as long as I live (well, for another year maybe) :))

Haha, yes Christmas does go by so quick! And me too! I've eaten so much I thought I was going to explode! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back