Taking a companion for the ‘final’ vet appointment?

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven’t been on here in a while but i’m just looking for some advice. I have 2 male piggies (Smudge and Smokey) and unfortunately back in May the vet diagnosed Smudge with a tumor on his intestine. The vet explained that having surgery on his intestines wouldn’t be the best idea as he may not cope well with parts of intestine missing so we opted for palliative care instead. He’s been on pain relief since August when he stopped eating and was clearly in lots of pain, however since the pain relief has been introduced he’s been a very happy chap! He has fortnightly appointments with the vet and at his appointment on Monday the vet has said there is now a lot more tumor as it has been very fast growing (he looks like a pear now bless him), and she suggested it might be a good idea for his next appointment to be the final one and to consider having him put down. This is something we have been expecting as he is visibly larger due to the tumor but thinner in himself, he’s still interested in food and doing piggie things but we obviously don’t want to keep dosing him on pain killers for our sake by prolonging the inevitable.
My question is for this appointment should we bring Smokey also? He usually always goes with Smudge to the appointments but I’m not really sure how best to deal with it because either way there is going to be a time where Smudge is there and then he’s not whether that‘s in the carry case at the vets or at home?
I have read some of the bereavement guides and plan to let Smokey see Smudge after he’s passed to help him understand but i’m just unsure if I should leave him at home for this appointment?
Thanks in advance.

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to do this, it is down to how you feel. If you do take Smokey as a travelling companion I would take a spare carrier or a box to put Smudge in to bring him home. It was something I didn't think about on one occasion. I feel more comfortable letting the companion say goodbye at home in familiar circumstances, but that's just my personal preference.

I was in a similar position with Priscilla earlier this year.
It was the Critical Care and pain killers that kept her comfortable until it was clear she wasn’t happy.
I didn’t take a companion with me but brought Priscilla home and placed her in the cage for the others to say goodbye.

I’m so sorry you’re in this position.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

I took my boy (Digby) to the vet by himself and left his mate (Winston) at home.
I left a blanket in their cage, in their favourite sleeping spot, a couple days prior to the vets appointment so Digby was PTS surrounded by scents and people he knew.

I left Winston at home as I didn’t feel the stress was necessary for him, but everyone has their own way of doing it. I was doing a home burial so was more than happy to take Digby home so Winston could say one last goodbye, but when people get their piggies cremated they often take their friend with them to say goodbye at the vets, so they don’t have to make two trips, home and back.

There isn’t one right answer, where or when, it all comes down to the circumstance and the way you would like it all to go down.

I am holding you all in my thoughts in this sad time x

Thank you all for your advice and kind messages, I think a good option may be keeping Smokey at home and taking Smudge to the vets with one of their snuggle sacks so he has the familiar smells. Then we can bring Smudge back to show Smokey in the cage where he can say goodbye. Hopefully this will be the least stressful option for the both of them.

So sorry you find yourself in this position. As everyone else has said, there’s no right answer. I opted for home burial for Jellybaby so I took Bertie with him to the vets to say his goodbyes. The vet wrapped Jellyb in a decorated cardboard box and I couldn’t bear to re-open it. Thinking of you x

Hi

BIG HUGS

My vets mostly prefer to euthanise at the back so I usually only take the ill piggy and then place their body in the cage. The companions have generally already taken their leave from their very ill or dying friend by that stage and won't show too much interest or they are at least aware that their mate is very ill.

If I have to make an unexpected decision upon bad findings during an examination, I bring the body back outside the carrier and give the companion the opportunity to a last goodbye in the cage. I bury my piggies in large planters in the garden but you are always allowed to bring a euthanised piggy home for a goodbye and then take them back to the vet clinic for cremation.

With a very close bond or if you want the companion to be with their friend, you can ask to have the unconscious piggy brought out to pass away in your and your companion's presence. I would however enquire beforehand how the clinic is handling things. They may not be offering this compromise for small pets.

There is no right or wrong. It is has to be right for you and within the constraints of the vet clinic's practice or vet's preference which is generally based on their personal experiences and has the welfare of the piggy at the centre.

We have a chapter on euthanasia, what to expect and some practical aspects in this guide here:
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

:agr: with the posts above. There’s no right or wrong way to handle this. I tend to take them alone on their final visit and bring them back home so their friends can say goodbye. But there’s really no right or wrong way.

Sending hugs x It’s such a sad time. Whatever you feel right with us the right thing to do. I agree if you take a companion, take a box with you. Treasure your wonderful memories of Smudge :hug:

I am very sorry 😞 Whenever I have taken a piggy of mine to the vets for pts, I have always taken them alone on a fleece that smells of their friends. But there really is no right or wrong answer but if you do take Smokey along too, I suggest you take an extra carrier or box to bring Smudge’s body home separately (((hugs))) x

So sorry. :( I typically let them say goodbye at home, but I know that is not always feasible for every situation - agreed, there is no right or wrong way to go about this.

When I had to take one of mine to the vet and she didn't return, I kept the fleece that was inside the carrier and put a piece of that into the other pig's cage so she could still smell her. :(

Hugs to you, as this is never an easy thing.

So sorry. It's heartbreaking when you see it's time to make the difficult decision.
I've lost one if my elderly piggies two months ago and brought his companion along for the appointment.
For me, I personally didn't believe he benefited. But his companion was given sedation in a cuddly tunnel and then I placed him into the carrier with his friend. So I thought they at least shared the intimate last moments together and must've been nicer falling asleep with his bestie besides him.

Personally, I won't do this again purely because the stress caused to my other piggie by having to be in a carrier and travelling. I brought his friend home, so the whole piggie room knew he was gone. I believe this was actually more beneficial and it really shows how sentient they are. They knew something was wrong as soon as we walked into the room.

So in short, do what you feel is best for you and your little potatoes. You'll know if it feels right♥️

Back