• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Syringe feeding

andythepirate

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi I just am coming here as an over prepared guinea pig mom, I recently lost a pig and my biggest problem was getting any fluids or food in her. And my biggest fear since she has passed is her sister not eating I bought these syringes and looked at reviews but I don’t know it they are too big for a pigs mouth or not and I don’t want to test it on my piggy until she needs it. the syringe does have a cap cover on it so it’s not showing its true size I might open them and see but idk I might return them for smaller. Any advice would be great if you think these are appropriate size or not

Attachments

• IMG_1377.webp
    IMG_1377.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
hi I just am coming here as an over prepared guinea pig mom, I recently lost a pig and my biggest problem was getting any fluids or food in her. And my biggest fear since she has passed is her sister not eating I bought these syringes and looked at reviews but I don’t know it they are too big for a pigs mouth or not and I don’t want to test it on my piggy until she needs it. the syringe does have a cap cover on it so it’s not showing its true size I might open them and see but idk I might return them for smaller. Any advice would be great if you think these are appropriate size or not
This is with the cap off in package

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi,I'm so sorry for your loss.This looks like the syringe you get given with science selective recovery food.That is a good syringe but I prefer a small one that comes with medications with the tip cut off.

Generally 1ml syringes are recommended. Some
People may get on ok with bigger ones but given piggy mouths can only take up to half a ml in one go, a 1ml syringe is sufficient to not risk pushing too much food in in one go (risk of aspiration).

Back