• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Syringe Feeding-How Much Daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How much food in mls should i be syringe feeding Lottie a day?

Today, so far, she's had 70ml of mushed pellets & a bowl of veg. She has probiotic in her water but i syringe-feed her 20-40ml daily to ensure she gets some of it & she's also having 30mg Vit C tablet a day (mixed with water & syringed).

She lost weight while on the Recovery Food, i don't think she liked it but today (she was back on the pellets last night) she's gained 28g/1 oz overnight & now weighs 697g/1lb 8.5oz

However, she's shown no interest in hay or her dry food but yesterday i bought some forage excel to tempt her & she ate some (the other piggies went mental with it ).

How long before she should start to show an interest in her "normal" diet or is it individual to each piggy?

Niki x

I'm going through the same thing with dobby at the moment, I give him about 6 full syringe fulls of critical care plus he is eating cucumber and hay will start to leave him from having as much tomorrow to encourage him to start eating normally again ,

Niki it is an individual thing when Sully was sick he did still try to eat more of his normal food.
But with Duke we've got the problem that he can't seem to remember now how to rip up food.
Your doing the right thing, keep up the pellet mix and try to get some of the recovery into her, have you tried mixing it with baby pureed apples or pears? Duke loves it this way.
Good luck to you both :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I would try her on Critical Care - you can buy it online from Thistle Cavies - www.thistlecaviesrescue.com. It's a bit more "palatable" for piggies than Science Recovery. They need 6g of food per 100g of body weight so your piggy will need about 42g of critical care/pellet mash in 24 hours - if she will take a bit more, give her more. http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

When Bill was still with me he got a 10 ml syringe every 2 hours of mushed up exel - he was below 500g though

Glynis said:
Niki it is an individual thing when Sully was sick he did still try to eat more of his normal food.
But with Duke we've got the problem that he can't seem to remember now how to rip up food.
Your doing the right thing, keep up the pellet mix and try to get some of the recovery into her, have you tried mixing it with baby pureed apples or pears? Duke loves it this way.
Good luck to you both :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yep she had it mixed with halal country vegetable baby food, it was the only baby food i could find without meat in it. I also mix this into her pellets which she loves.
Now she's started to not want it at all unless it's warm. I'm having to keep a jug of hot water at the side of me to keep dipping the syringe into - is she becoming spoilt? :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back