• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Symptoms and Mites

lovella

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a trio (1 boar, 2 sows).

A few weeks ago, I noticed my boar scratching alot.
A week last Thursday I treated him with ivermectin spot on, then last Tuesday I noticed a horrible scratch mark on his back (see pic), which then turned scabby and I was worried it would be infected underneath, so took him to the vet on Wed.
They confirmed this is typical Mites and that my treatment was correct, they gave him something to help with itching.
Thursday I gave the second dose of ivermectin.
Friday the original scab lifted and skins has healed underneath.
Today I have noticed he has a fresh wound near it (making classic V line in the hair on his back) have sprayed with Leucillin.
My query is... typically how long after ivermectin would you expect to stop seeing fresh wounds? Either from itching or Mites?
When should I expect things to improve for him?
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20240928_163609.webp
    20240928_163609.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20241001_080941.webp
    20241001_080941.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
I have a trio (1 boar, 2 sows).

A few weeks ago, I noticed my boar scratching alot.
A week last Thursday I treated him with ivermectin spot on, then last Tuesday I noticed a horrible scratch mark on his back (see pic), which then turned scabby and I was worried it would be infected underneath, so took him to the vet on Wed.
They confirmed this is typical Mites and that my treatment was correct, they gave him something to help with itching.
Thursday I gave the second dose of ivermectin.
Friday the original scab lifted and skins has healed underneath.
Today I have noticed he has a fresh wound near it (making classic V line in the hair on his back) have sprayed with Leucillin. (I haven't taken a pic)
My query is... typically how long after ivermectin would you expect to stop seeing fresh wounds? Either from itching or Mites?
When should I expect things to improve for him?
Thank you in advance

You will need to complete the full course of treatment (along with disinfection of the cage a few days after each treatment) and then see whether it has worked.

The V suggests it’s mange mites.

Treatment of mites is three separate treatments with two weeks between each treatment of a vet strength ivermectin - xeno being the one most often prescribed.
Pet shop produces typically aren’t strong enough to cure, they can suppress but can often result in the mites returning.

I’ve just merged your two posts given the second one has a picture.
It looks rather a nasty wound

Thank you for your reply, it was the Naqua Mite Treatment (which says vet strength 🤷‍♀️).
I am treating them all as per the guidance, I know I have another week and then preventative.
I am cleaning the cage out twice a week, one a few days after treatment.
Do you have any ideas how long after the start of the course you would expect to stop seeing fresh wounds? Please?
Or at least is it normal to still have them after the second dose?
Thank you

You will need to complete the full course of treatment (along with disinfection of the cage a few days after each treatment) and then see whether it has worked.

The V suggests it’s mange mites.

Treatment of mites is three separate treatments with two weeks between each treatment of a vet strength ivermectin - xeno being the one most often prescribed.
Pet shop produces typically aren’t strong enough to cure, they can suppress but can often result in the mites returning.

I’ve just merged your two posts given the second one has a picture.
It looks rather a nasty wound
Thanks for.merging I'm not sure how I posted two and couldn't delete it.
Yes that was the wound I took him to the vet for it has now healed, but another one today has appeared creating a V on his back (one side being the now healed area and the other being new).

So sorry about your boy. It looks rather painful. Not an expert but I think the general advice is to not use preventative, because it can cause resistance.
I hope your boy gets well soon ❤️

Back