• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swollen nipple

Sintheya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is my female guineapig and she's almost 2 . She's eating fine and playing as usual . But I picked her up and noticed one of her nipple like this . What could be the reason?

Attachments

• 20241023_183607.webp
    20241023_183607.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 1
This is my female guineapig and she's almost 2 . She's eating fine and playing as usual . But I picked her up and noticed one of her nipple like this . What could be the reason?

Hi

Please have her vet checked promptly for either an infection or - if there is a lump underneath the nipple - for a potential mammary tumour. They can be benign or malign but they since they never stop growing, they will require a removal operation.

I am very sorry; but this needs to be taken seriously. Have you also checked her genitalia for any potential swelling/feeling hot to the touch in case it is an infection of the reproductive tract/womb (pyometra)?

This guide here will explain more:

Hi

Please have her vet checked promptly for either an infection or - if there is a lump underneath the nipple - for a potential mammary tumour. They can be benign or malign but they since they never stop growing, they will require a removal operation.

I am very sorry; but this needs to be taken seriously. Have you also checked her genitalia for any potential swelling/feeling hot to the touch in case it is an infection of the reproductive tract/womb (pyometra)?

This guide here will explain more:
I checked her genitalia it's ok not swollen or feeling hot . And there is no lump I mean I can't feel anything there . Just the nipple is a little bit hard and swollen . Please Pray for her I'll take her to the vet .

I checked her genitalia it's ok not swollen or feeling hot . And there is no lump I mean I can't feel anything there . Just the nipple is a little bit hard and swollen . Please Pray for her I'll take her to the vet .

Fingers firmly crossed that it is just a local infection that can hopefully be cleared with an antibiotic.

Just check her daily for self-biting (pain) or any abrasions. All the best. See the vet sooner as an emergency if she suddenly stops eating and looks off.
Thank you very much . I had one last inquiry. Could it be abscess? It looks like there is puss inside

Thank you very much . I had one last inquiry. Could it be abscess? It looks like there is puss inside

You have to ask that to the vet. Without access your piggy it's not something we can answer but pus is pointing towards an infection of some sort or other (an abscess is an encapsulated infection). At least it sounds local and not like a mammary tumour or pyometra, which are the two big ones to worry about. .

Back