Switching to Vetbed Queries

poggle

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am looking to switch from disposable bedding to reusable. I'd been hoping to hold off on the expense until we'd expanded the cage but it has proved a nightmare finding something non-C&C to fit the available space, and I don't think our bin will take the pressure much longer... Unfortunately Plan B of going to the tip has been ruled out as they won't take animal bedding, so expensive Plan C it is!

I'm not a huge fan of fleece so I've been exploring Vetbed as an option with washable pads underneath (I've read the forum bedding guide). Vetbed is very fluffy and quite heavy; I'm not too worried as our washing machine can take up to 9kg, but I am finding it hard to estimate how much Vetbed will be too much for one wash. I will be using laundry bags (possibly two at time) to ensure that fluff and errant hay don't make it into the machine. I am planning two full changes per week with ad hoc poop scoops daily.

My specific questions are below but if anyone has any other suggestions, experiences or insight, it would be gratefully received. 🙂

1. Would three 50 x 70cm or two 75 x 70cm be okay to wash at once, do you think? If neither, roughly how much would you recommend washing at a time?
2. Have you found it necessary to include extra in measurements to allow for shrinkage, or trims if the edges get tatty?
3. Do you find two full changes per week to be enough for three piggies? (with adequate daily upkeep)
4. Are my anti-fluff / hay measures sufficient? (assuming regular filter checks)

Thank you 🙂 As this is a pricy step forward I really appreciate any help offered so that I can get it right first time.

I put one 150cm x 70cm into my 9kg washing machine without any hassle.vetbed dries very quickly,even on a cool day it will dry outside.a curry brush to get hay off the vetbed is useful.

I needed to use vetbed when my now rainbow piggy Pretty Patsy had bumblefoot. I have a 6ft x 2ft hutch. I had fleece underneath the vet bed and washable peepads underneath that. My 8kg washing machine coped with all of it in 2 wash bags. The vetbed, fleece and pee pads were divided into approx 2ft and 4ft pieces. Here is Pretty Patsy ... just because

Patsy eating treat 2.webp

I put one 150cm x 70cm into my 9kg washing machine without any hassle.vetbed dries very quickly,even on a cool day it will dry outside.a curry brush to get hay off the vetbed is useful.

Fantastic, I'd not considered a full-size piece of fleece as I was so sure it would be too big for my machine size-wise, but that is great to know! I must confess that I had to look up what a curry brush is, but I will add one to my to-buy list, thank you 👍

I needed to use vetbed when my now rainbow piggy Pretty Patsy had bumblefoot. I have a 6ft x 2ft hutch. I had fleece underneath the vet bed and washable peepads underneath that. My 8kg washing machine coped with all of it in 2 wash bags. The vetbed, fleece and pee pads were divided into approx 2ft and 4ft pieces. Here is Pretty Patsy ... just because

View attachment 196622

No excuse needed for pics, what gorgeous colouring! 😍 I love the sneak peak of a foot as well (what is it about guinea pig feet?). It's really reassuring to hear how much more washing machines can handle than I gave them credit for. Is the added fleece layer recommended?

You need something absorbant underneath to soak up the wee. I just put the vet bed over the fleece but I could have just put it on top of the washable pee pads.

You need something absorbant underneath to soak up the wee. I just put the vet bed over the fleece but I could have just put it on top of the washable pee pads.

Ah I see, I was wondering if the extra helped with smells between washes as well (hoping damp won't be a problem with the right pee pads!) Thanks again 😊

These are the washable pee pads I have. They are quite expensive to begin with but they are very good. I've been using them for years. You can cut them to fit your set up too and it doesn't have any affect on the absorbancy. Mine are a different size but I can't find those on just a quick search.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Inconti-Pet-Washable-Training-Leakproof-Controlling/dp/B08WCGM9GM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=22M49TNT3VUHT&keywords=incontipet+washable+mats&qid=1645343225&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=incontipet+washable+mats,pets,59&sr=1-4

What a brand name! Thank you, I'll give these a look :)

Back